About the Division
The Division of Historical Resources is fortunate to receive assistance, guidance and support from 6 Advisory Councils and 2 Citizen Support Organizations. These include:
Advisory CouncilsHistorical Commission
- Purpose is to assist and advise the Division in carrying out the purposes, duties and responsibilities of the Division including the review of Special Category Grant Applications, the review of nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, the naming of State buildings and facilities, and the review of offensive and derogatory place names.
- Eleven members appointed by the Governor, President of the Senate and Speaker of the House.
- Chair, Marion Almy
- Purpose is to advise the Division and the State folklorist including encouraging statewide public interest and participation on folk arts and folklore; developing and promoting Florida folk artists, performers, festivals projects and resources; recommending projects for identification, collection and preservation of Florida folklore, folk arts, traditions, cultural heritage, skills, and customs and making them available throughout the State; and assisting with the development of proposals and grant applications to fund Florida folklife programs.
- Seven members appointed by the Secretary of State.
- Chair, Dr. Jerrilyn McGregory
- As required by the federal Historic Preservation of Act of 1966, each state has a state board to review nominations for listing properties in the National Register of Historic Places and to advise on historic preservation matters. The board must include professionals in the fields of American history, American architectural history, preservation architecture, American historical archaeology, and American prehistoric archaeology. The members of the Review Board also serve as members of the Florida Historical Commission.
- Five members appointed by the Governor
- Chair, Ellen Uguccioni
- Purpose is to advise the Division on the operation, maintenance, preservation, and protection of the historic 1825 Call/Collins House, commonly known as "The Grove" and the grounds, cemetery, structures and furnishings.
- Eight members appointed by the Secretary of State plus a representative of the Division of Historical Resources, Department of Management Services, and a direct descendent of Mary Call Darby Collins.
- Purpose is to provide assistance, advice and recommendations to the Division in evaluating proposals for Florida Historical Markers, as well as identifying goals for the marker program.
- Three members appointed by the Secretary of State.
- Purpose is to nominate at least two persons annually to the Secretary of State for designation as a "Great Floridian".
- Seven members appointed by the Secretary of State, Governor, Speaker of the House, President of the Senate, and the three members of the Florida Cabinet.
- Chair, Walter Manley
Citizen Support OrganizationsFriends of Mission San Luis
- Purpose is to support and enhance programs and activities at Mission San Luis.
- Up to twenty-five members appointed by the Secretary of State.
- Chair, David Ramsay
- Purpose is to enhance and perpetuate the program offered by Florida Main Street, Division of Historical Resources.
- Up to twenty-five members appointed by the Secretary of State
- Chair, Gail Hamilton