The third group of ceramics found at Emanuel Point consists of tin-glazed enamelware, first introduced during the fifteenth century in Italy, and which became vastly popular throughout Europe. Referred to as maiolica (Italian) or majolica (Iberian), faience (French), and delft (Dutch and British), the original Italian form had a thick white tin slip, was hand painted (usually with a floral or geometric design) and overglazed with a clear glossy finish (coperta), then fired. Two of the four enamelware sherds from the shipwreck have been tentatively identified. One appears to be of a style known as Sevilla Blue-on-White or Blue-on-Blue, with a light-gray background color and a dark-blue sprig and flower design, and dating between 1492 and 1600 (Deagan 1987:62-4). Another sherd appears to be from a Yayal Blue-on- White bacín container (utility basin or chamber pot) with a blue on white design on the interior base surface.
Fig. 59. Majolica ceramics of the Seville Blue-on-Blue variety date between 1492 and 1600.