Florida Maritime Heritage Trail - Coastal Forts @ Florida OCHP


Home
The Florida Maritime Heritage Trail 
Coastal CommunitiesCoastal EnvironmentsCoastal FortsLighthousesHistoric PortsHistoric Shipwrecks

« Previous   

   Next »


Fort Caroline

Fort Caroline

Photo courtesy of the
Florida Division of Historical Resources.

    This wooden fort was built on the bank of the St. Johns River by the French Huguenot Jean Ribault in 1564 to protect his claim to Florida. After being captured by the Spanish Admiral Pedro Menéndez de Avilés for Spain in 1565, it was renamed San Mateo and remaining French women and children were transported to Puerto Rico. The fort burned shortly afterwards, destroying desperately needed provisions. Although rebuilt, nothing remains of the original fort today. An interpretive reconstruction demonstrates how the original fort must have looked in the 16th century.



Find out more:

General Information:
Open daily, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; closed December 25. Free admission. Visitor Center, exhibits, nature preserve, hiking trails. Fort Caroline National Memorial/Timucuan Preserve, 12713 Ft. Caroline Road, Jacksonville, FL 32225, (904) 641-7155.

Additional Links:

National Park Service
National Park Service (map)



Communities | Environments | Forts | Lighthouses | Ports | Shipwrecks | Home