Florida Maritime Heritage Trail - Lighthouses @ Florida OCHP


Home
The Florida Maritime Heritage Trail 
Coastal CommunitiesCoastal EnvironmentsCoastal FortsLighthousesHistoric PortsHistoric Shipwrecks

« Previous   

   Next »


Amelia Island

Amelia Island

Photo courtesy of the
Florida Division of Historical Resources.

    Amelia Island Lighthouse was partially constructed of materials salvaged from the Cumberland Island Lighthouse, located three miles north in Georgia. In 1856, a third-order Fresnel lens was installed. The lighthouse went dark during the Civil War, but it was relighted soon afterwards. Originally 50 feet tall, a cupola added in 1881 raised the tower to 58 feet. The lighthouse marks the entrance to the St. Mary's River near Fernandina Beach, just north and east of Jacksonville. Residents wish to preserve the character of Amelia Island, so this still-active lighthouse is not open to the public.



Find out more:

Additional Links:




Communities | Environments | Forts | Lighthouses | Ports | Shipwrecks | Home