Florida Maritime Heritage Trail - Lighthouses @ Florida OCHP


Home
The Florida Maritime Heritage Trail 
Coastal CommunitiesCoastal EnvironmentsCoastal FortsLighthousesHistoric PortsHistoric Shipwrecks

« Previous   

   Next »


Cape St. George

Cape St. George

Photo courtesy of the
Florida Division of Historical Resources.

    In 1833, a 65-foot tower was built on St. George Island to guide boats into the port of Apalachicola. A new tower two miles away replaced it in 1847, with a third-order lens seen 15 miles into the Gulf of Mexico. This lighthouse fell during the same hurricane in 1851 that toppled the Cape San Blas and Dog Island lights. The current Cape St. George Lighthouse is a white brick structure built in 1852. The tower is 70 feet high and, although solidly built, has been undermined by continuous erosion and a series of hurricanes during the 1990s. It was deactivated in 1994. The lighthouse today is part of the Cape St. George State Reserve, a 10-mile-long section of the barrier island that was separated by a ship channel in 1954. The lighthouse grounds may be visited.



Find out more:

Additional Links:




Communities | Environments | Forts | Lighthouses | Ports | Shipwrecks | Home