Florida Maritime Heritage Trail - Lighthouses @ Florida OCHP


Home
The Florida Maritime Heritage Trail 
Coastal CommunitiesCoastal EnvironmentsCoastal FortsLighthousesHistoric PortsHistoric Shipwrecks

« Previous   

   Next »


St. Johns Light Station

St. Johns Light Station

Photo courtesy of David S. Carter.

    The ultra-modern St. Johns Light Station was erected in 1954, replacing the St. Johns Lightship. Only one mile from the old St. Johns River Lighthouse, the 64-foot tall white concrete monolith is located on a man-made hill and uses an aero-marine beacon with a white group-flashing sequence visible 22 nautical miles. The station became completely automated in 1967; in case of a malfunction, an alarm alerts personnel on duty at the Coast Guard Station. This active beacon is not open to the public.



Find out more:

Additional Links:




Communities | Environments | Forts | Lighthouses | Ports | Shipwrecks | Home