Historical Reports

Florida's History Through Its Places

Colored Border

Hendry County

339 - Clewiston
Clewiston CLEWISTON INN U.S. 27. 1926. Classical Revival. L. Phillips Clarke and Edgar S. Wortman, architects. 2 stories. Built in 1926 by the Southern Sugar Company, rebuilt in 1938 following a fire. Oldest hotel in the Lake Okeechobee area. Still owned and operated by the U.S. Sugar Corporation. Private. N.R. 1991.

340 - La Belle
La Belle OLD HENDRY COUNTY COURTHOUSE Corner of Bridge St. and Hickpochee Ave. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. E.C. Hosford, architect. 3 stories. A large Italian Renaissance clock tower and 3 subsidiary towers with pyramidal roofs at the corners of the building. Center of the county's civic and political gatherings. Weather and market reports vital to the agricultural economy are still placed on a blackboard on the front veranda. Public. N.R. 1990.

963 - Clewiston
Clewiston CAPTAIN F. DEANE DUFF HOUSE 151 West Del Monte Avenue. 1928. Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals. Two stories. The first owner of the house, Captain F. Deane Duff, held a prominent position in Clewiston’s early development prior to its incorporation in 1931. Following incorporation, Duff became the city’s first mayor, a position he held for the next twelve years. Duff continued to play an active role in the community until his death in 1954. The house was designed by prominent Palm Beach and Clewiston architect Clark J. Lawrence and features French-derived design elements. Private. NR 1998.

960 - Clewiston
Clewiston CLEWISTON HISTORIC SCHOOLS 325 East Circle Drive and 475 East Osceola Avenue. Masonry Vernacular. The Clewiston Historic Schools consists of two adjacent masonry school buildings, each two-stories in height. The Grammar School, 325 E. Circle Drive, was completed in 1927. The Junior-Senior High School, 475 E. Osceola Avenue, was completed in 1940. The Grammar School contains decorative elements associated with the Collegiate Gothic Style while the style of the Junior-Senior High School has modernistic elements drown from the Art Moderne and International styles, reflecting the influence of West Palm Beach architect L. Phillips Clarke. Public-local. NR 1997.

961 - Clewiston
Clewiston DIXIE CRYSTAL THEATRE 100 East Sugarland Highway. 1941. Moderne. One story. The Dixie Crystal Theatre is one of the few known examples of the Moderne style of architecture in Hendry County. The theater was built for Mary Hayes Davis, a prominent local business and newspaper woman who owned and operated a chain of movie theaters in south Florida during the first half of the twentieth century. Occupying a prominent site in Clewiston, along its main thoroughfare, the minimally altered Dixie Crystal Theatre provides a wonderfully preserved example of the Art Moderne style rarely executed in the Lake Okeechobee region and other rural areas of Florida. Private. NR 1998.

964 - Clewiston
Clewiston EXECUTIVE HOUSE 125 West Del Monte Avenue. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. Two stories featuring a three-story square tower. The Executive House is linked to the early development of Clewiston through its association with Bror Dahlberg, president of the Clewiston Development Company. The house served as a hospitality house for visiting sugar company executives and between 1931 and 1938, it was occupied by two executive officers of the United States Sugar Company. Designed by Palm Beach architect Clark J. Lawerence, the house is a well preserved example of the Mediterranean Revival style in Clewiston. Private. NR 1998.

967 - Clewiston
Clewiston SCHARNBERG HOUSE 325 East Del Monte Avenue. 1926. Tudor Revival. Designed by Clark J. Lawrence, a West Palm Beach architect, the Scharnberg House was built by the Clewiston Development Company in 1927. J.B. Scharnberg was a German born engineer and inventor who worked for the United States Sugar Corporation and held numerous patents for machinery innovations. Scharnberg occupied the house from 1931 to his death in 1940. At the time of his death Scharberg had developed the largest, most advanced sugar grinding mill in the world. Private. NR 1999.

966 - LaBelle
LaBelle CAPTAIN FRANCIS A. HENDRY HOUSE 512 Fraser Street. 1914. Frame Vernacular. One and one-half stories. The house was built for Captain Francis Henry, the founder of LaBelle and the person for who Hendry County was named when it was formed in 1923. The home is an excellent example of a simple but large vernacular home of its period and is the only surviving structure in Hendry County associated with Captain Francis A. Hendry. Private. NR 1998.

962 - LaBelle
LaBelle DOWNTOWN LABELLE HISTORIC DISTRICT 300 Block of North Bridge Street. The buildings of the Downtown LaBelle Historic District reflect the development of the small rural community between the years c. 1911 to c. 1945. The buildings in the district served a variety of commercial, social, and residential purposes. The primary architectural style of the district is frame vernacular, but also includes two buildings that reflect the Mediterranean Revival and Moderne architectural styles popular in Florida during the period from the 1920s to the 1940s. Private. NR 1999.

965 - LaBelle
LaBelle FORREY BUILDING AND ANNEX 264-282 Bridge Street. Mission/Colonial Revival Style. One and two stories. The two-part commercial building was constructed between 1928 and 1930. The building housed the Labelle Post Office from 1930 to 1964, and a combination family residence and family-owned and-operated grocery and meat market that drew residents and visitors alike. The building was also the home of its builder Robert Everett Burchard, a prominent local contractor who played a significant role in the community from 1925 until his death in 1991. Private. NR 1995.

Colored Border

  • Return to main page.