Florida's History Through Its Places
DeFuniak Springs CHAUTAUQUA AUDITORIUM Circle Dr. 1910. Classical Revival. 2 stories, frame, central dome, center and end pedimented porticos with lst- and 2nd-floor Doric columns. Patterned after the original Chautauqua building in upstate New York, center of an adult educational and cultural organization. Played a major role in the cultural life of the region for about 25 years. Public. N.R. 1972.
DeFuniak Springs DEFUNIAK SPRINGS HISTORIC DISTRICT 1884-1940. 245 buildings, 166 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular and various Revival styles predominate. District contains a large share of the community's historic buildings. Most historic buildings continue to serve their original functions. Besides homes there are commercial, transportation, government, educational, religious, and medical buildings in the district. Area retains the landscape design of W.J. Van Kirk, who drew up the town plan of the city. Public and Private. N.R. 1992.
DeFuniak Springs PERRY L. BIDDLE HOUSE 203 Scribner Ave. 1887. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories. Cross-gable roof with a simple frieze encircling the building. One of the best examples of houses constructed in an early period of the town's history. Biddle was born in Pennsylvania, but became an early West Florida developer. Private. N.R. 1992.
DeFuniak Springs SUN BRIGHT (Sidney Catts House) 606 Live Oak Ave. 1890+. Queen Anne. 2 and a half stories, 2-story galleries on east and west facades, 3 and a half-story octagonal tower. The home of Sidney Johnston Catts, Governor of Florida (1917-1921). Built during the period the Lake DeFuniak Land Co. was developing the town as a Chautauqua retreat. Private. N.R. 1970.