Florida's History Through Its Places
Cocoa ALADDIN THEATER BUILDING 300 Brevard Ave. 1924. Italian Renaissance. P. Thornton Marye, architect. 4 stories. Concrete slab foundation. Flat ceramic roof. Restored in the 1980s to its original appearance. Building displays fine decorative brickwork. Focal point of community's civic and cultural activities during the late 1920s and 1930s. Public. N.R. 1991.
Cocoa PORCHER HOUSE 434 Delannoy Ave. 1916. Classical Revival. 2 and a half stories, coquina limestone, 2-story semicircular portico with 4 fluted Ionic columns. Built for Edward Postel Porcher, pioneer citrus grower. It is an example of the Classical Revival style adapted to the Florida environment. Restored in 1987. Public. N.R. 1986.
Courtenay OLD ST. LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND CEMETERY 5555 N. Tropical Trail. 1888. Late Gothic Revival. 1 story. Vertical board-and-batten exterior. Interior walls completely unfinished and are the inner side of the board-and-batten exterior. One of the earliest surviving buildings in the community. Private. N.R. 1990. /facts/reports/places/Sites/8BR00860_hill.gif
Rockledge BARTON AVENUE RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1884-1926. 44 buildings, 41 of historical interest. Mainly Frame Vernacular and a few of various Revival styles. District reflects the early period of settlement of Rockledge and many of the buildings are representative of the city's beginnings as a tourist resort during the late 19th century. Public and Private. N.R. 1992.
Rockledge ROCKLEDGE DRIVE RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1880-1926. 124 buildings, 100 of historical interest. Mainly Frame Vernacular, with some Revival style buildings. Rockledge Drive, which follows the Indian River, is among the most scenic historic roads in Florida. District contains a former city hall and fine boat houses. Public and Private. N.R. 1992.
Rockledge VALENCIA SUBDIVISION RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1924-1926. 71 buildings, 56 of historical interest. Mediterranean Revival. Comprised entirely of single-family residences, all executed in the Mediterranean Revival style. The majority of the buildings are masonry with exterior stucco walls. Private. N.R. 1992.
Titusville PRITCHARD HOUSE 424 S. Washington Ave. c. 1891. Queen Anne. 2 stories. frame. Includes ogee-shaped bargeboard with encased scroll work on front facade. James Pritchard, born in New York, came to Titusville in 1876 and became a banker. He operated the city's first electric generator on the grounds of his home. Private. N.R. 1990.
Cocoa CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION LAUNCH PADS NOS. 5, 6, 13, 14, 19, 26, 34 AND CONTROL Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. 1950+ . Launch pads, hangars, administrative buildings, and other facilities related to the nation's space programs. The nation's first unmanned probes into space and near space, followed by manned space flights, were launched from Cape Canaveral. Public. N.R. 1984.
Melbourne FLORIDA POWER AND LIGHT COMPANY ICE PLANT 1604 S. Harbor City Blvd. 1927. 2 stories, masonry, decorative stucco detailing. Of great commercial importance to the community, serving households and commercial establishments as well as local commercial fishermen. During the pre-World War II period utility companies throughout Florida commonly produced and sold ice, since home refrigerators were rare. Private. H.R. 1982.
Melbourne Beach MELBOURNE BEACH PIER Ocean Ave. and Riverside Dr. 1888-1889. 650 feet long, 12 feet wide. Vital to the establishment and initial growth of the town, the oldest beach community in the county. Used for docking of passenger and freight vessels. Since 1920s primarily used for recreation. Public. N.R. 1984.
Vicinity of Rockledge MOCCASIN ISLAND On the SE shore of Lake Winder approximately 8 miles SW of Rockledge. 4000 b.c.-2000 b.c., 500 b.c.-a.d. 800, a.d. 800-a.d. 1565. Archaic and St. Johns periods . A midden 740 feet by 100 feet. Highest elevation is 6 feet. Abundant material, including food remains and pottery fragments. Private. N.R. 1994.
Vicinity of Rockledge PERSIMMONS MOUND On the E bank of a former channel of the St. Johns River approximately 10 miles SW of Rockledge. 4000 b.c.-2000 b.c., 500 b.c.-a.d. 800, a.d. 800-a.d. 1565. A midden 165 feet by 100 feet. Highest elevation 4.2 feet. Within it have been found animal bones, pottery fragments, tools, and shell. Public. N.R. 1994.
Vicinity of Rockledge TURTLE MOUND (Duda Ranch Mound) On the E bank of the St. Johns River floodplain approximately 11 miles SW of Rockledge. 4000 b.c.-2000 b.c., 500 b.c.-a.d. 800, a.d. 800-a.d. 1565. Midden 320 feet by 205 feet. Highest elevation 11 feet. Midden contains a wide variety of cultural material. Private. N.R. 1994.
Vicinity of Titusville INDIAN FIELDS On the SE bank of Ruth Lake, approximately 8 miles west of Titusville. 4000 b.c.-2000 b.c., 500 b.c.-a.d. 800, a.d. 800-a.d. 1565. Archaic and St. Johns periods. A 540-feet-by-400-feet midden, 11 feet at highest elevation. Contains abundant food remains as well as pottery fragments. Private. N.R. 1994.
Vicinity of Titusville WINDOVER ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE. 5000 b.c. A small isolated peat deposit containing human burials and artifacts dating from the Early Archaic period. One of the largest collections of human skeletal material in the New World, made famous by the discovery of human skulls with brain tissue containing DNA. Private. N.R. 1987.