Florida's History Through Its Places
Vicinity of Blountstown CAYSON MOUND AND VILLAGE SITE 3 mi. SE of Blountstown on the Apalachicola River. a.d. 900-a.d. 1500. Fort Walton period. Flat-topped pyramidal temple mound of local clay, 20 feet high, 75 feet long and, 60 feet wide. Village complex, including plaza, nearby. Private. N.R. 1976.
Blountstown OLD CALHOUN COUNTY COURTHOUSE 314 E. Central Ave. 1904+. Romanesque Revival. Frank Lockwood and Benjamin Bosworth, architects. 2 to 2 and a half stories, brick, hipped main roof, 3 1-story porches. One of only two extant Romanesque Revival courthouse buildings in Florida. Both architects, Alabamians, had outstanding regional reputations for the design of public buildings. Public. N.R. 1980.