Florida's History Through Its Places
Century THE ALGER-SULLIVAN LUMBER COMPANY RESIDENTIAL HISTORIC DISTRICT 1900-1934. 51 buildings, 46 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular predominates. One of the few remaining examples of a mill town in Florida. A little village named Teaspoon existed on the
Pensacola AMERICAN NATIONAL BANK BUILDING 226 S. Palafox St. 1908+ . Commercial style with Sullivanesque elements. J.E.R. Carpenter, architect. 11 stories, masonry, heavily ornamented on main facade. A product of a boom period in the city's history. Believed to have been the tallest building in Florida when completed. Tallest in Pensacola until 1974. Private. N.R. 1978.
Pensacola CHARLES WILLIAM JONES HOUSE 302 N. Barcelona St. 1869+ . Frame Vernacular. 2 stories, frame wraparound porch. Jones was a leader in the Democrat Party after the Civil War. Born in Ireland, he settled in Florida where he first became a carpenter, but then studied law. He served in the U.S. Senate from Florida. Private. N.R. 1977.
Pensacola CRYSTAL ICE COMPANY BUILDING 2024 N. Davis St. c. 1932. Masonry Vernacular. Steve Fulghum, architect. 1 story, stucco ornamentation to convey the impression of a block of ice. One of the few remaining examples of vernacular roadside commercial architecture in Pensacola. Building used to sell ice to motorists. Private. N.R. 1983.
Pensacola FORT BARRANCAS HISTORIC DISTRICT Pensacola Naval Air Station. 17th to 19th century. 3 structures: Fort Barrancas, Battery San Antonio, and the Advanced Redoubt. The most notable structure is Fort Barrancas, a semicircular brick fortification surrounded by a moat, which replaced a fort built in 1698, and destroyed by French in 1719. Present fort was captured from the Spanish in 1814 by forces commanded by Andrew Jackson. Public. N.R. 1982.
Pensacola JOHN EDMUNDS APARTMENT HOUSE (Mirador). 2007 E. Gadsden St. 1927+ . Mediterranean Revival. Walker Dorr Willis, architect. 3 stories, masonry, stuccoed, 5 cast-iron balconies on 3rd floor. One of the most fashionable apartments in Pensacola for 30 years. Until 1956 it was the only major apartment complex in the city. Private. N.R. 1983.
Pensacola L AND N MARINE TERMINAL BUILDING Bayfront Parkway. 1902+ (moved in 1972) . Eclectic. 2 and a half stories, frame, wraparound porch on 2nd floor. Served as the focal point for the Louisville and Nashville Railroad's export trade prior to World War II. This trade was considerable and included local lumber as well as coal from northern Alabama. Public. N.R. 1972.
Pensacola L AND N PASSENGER STATION AND EXPRESS OFFICE 239 N. Alcaniz St. 1912-1913. Spanish Mission and Italianate elements. 2-story, masonry passenger terminal, 1-story masonry express wing. Raised limestone and terra-cotta ornamentation on facades. Built to serve the city's most important land transportation artery, its railway. Incorporated into a new hotel in 1984. Private. N.R. 1979.
Pensacola NORTH HILL PRESERVATION DISTRICT 1870-1930s. 542 structures, of which 404 are considered of historical interest, within 65 blocks. Queen Anne, Frame Vernacular, Tudor Revival, and Mediterranean Revival are the predominant styles. An early upper-middle-class suburb of the city. Included within it are the remains of the British fortifications of Fort George used in the 1781 Battle of Pensacola. One of the finest collections of Victorian and early 20th-century houses in northwest Florida. N .R. 1983.
Pensacola PENSACOLA HISTORIC DISTRICT (Seville Historic District) 18th century to 19th century. Approximately 20 blocks. A significant concentration of French influenced Gulf Coast Vernacular cottages with some excellent examples of Greek Revival and Victorian-era houses. The typical Gulf Coast cottage is a distinctive 1 and a half-story house on piers with a steep pitched gable roof and a gallery porch on the main facade. Design is from the Caribbean by way of New Orleans. District contains historic Seville Square and Pensacola Village, a state-owned museum complex. N.R. 1970.
Pensacola PENSACOLA HOSPITAL N. 12th Ave. 1915+. Late Gothic Revival. A.O. Von Herbulis, architect. 4 stories, sandstone veneer, main block flanked by 2 3-story wings, raised basement. Quoins, lintels and belt courses of Indiana limestone. The first major hospital in Pensacola and for its time a major undertaking. Building ceased being used as hospital in 1965. Private. N.R. 1982.
Pensacola PENSACOLA NAVAL AIR STATION HISTORIC DISTRICT 1824-1899, 1914. 55 structures of historical interest within 82 acres. Notable are the octagonal armory and chapel (1854), and 6 metal seaplane hangars (1916-1918). First permanent U.S. Naval Air Station and first Navy pilot training center in the nation. Public. N.R. 1976.
Pensacola SAENGER THEATER 118 S. Palafox St. 1924-1925. Spanish Baroque. Emile Weil, architect. 2 stories, masonry, terra-cotta ornamentation on front facade as well as grille-work. Auditorium has elaborate columns and is notable for outstanding use of color in decoration. The theater itself, one of the "atmospheric" variety built throughout the nation in the period , served for live theater as well as movies. Public. N.R. 1976.
Pensacola ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH BUILDINGS 140 W. Government St. Church, 1892; Convent, 1857 +; School-orphanage, 1920-1928. Church: 1 story, brick, asymmetrical towers on main facade; convent: 1 and a half stories, frame, incised veranda; school-orphanage: 2 and a half stories, frame. A religious center for Pensacola's black community since mid-19th century. Also served the city's large Creole community. Private. N.R. 1979.
Pensacola ST. MICHAEL'S CREOLE BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION HALL 416 E. Government St. 1895-1896. Frame Vernacular with Queen Anne elements. 1 and a half stories, frame, front and side porches. Built to accommodate the social and cultural activities of the city's Creoles, a racially mixed group which remained socially isolated from the white and black communities. Private. N.R. 1974.
Pensacola THIESEN BUILDING 40 S. Palafox St. 1901+ . Commercial style. Morgan and Dillon, architects. 5 stories, brick, terra-cotta ornamentation on west and south facades. Built by Christian Thiesen, a Danish immigrant who settled in the city in 1882 and became a developer. The building was one of the first modern office blocks in the city and represents the early 20th-century optimism of the city business leaders. Private. N.R. 1979.
Vicinity of Warrington PERDIDO KEY HISTORIC DISTRICT Small island south of Pensacola in Pensacola Bay. 1828, 1862, 1898, 1905, 1940. On the eastern end of the key a series of artillery batteries was built to defend Pensacola. Fort McRee built by U.S. in 1828. In 1861 fort fell to Union forces. Fort McRee eroded by sea currents and finally abandoned. In 1898 another battery built, followed by another in 1905 and another in 1940. The newer batteries also have been undermined by sea erosion. Public. N.R. 1980.
Pensacola BARRANCAS NATIONAL CEMETERY 80 Hovey Road. For many years prior to the Civil War, a small cemetery of the Marine Hospital had been maintained at the United States Navy Yard at Pensacola, near Fort Barrancas. During the Civil War many casualties were interred in the cemetery in gravesites initially set aside for personnel on duty at the Pensacola Navy Yard. In 1868, the cemetery was transferred to the War Department and designated the Barrancas National Cemetery. The cemetery is located within the Pensacola Navel Air Station and includes the remains of veterans associated with every war and branch of service who have served their country throughout its history. Public-Federal. NR 1998.
Pensacola EMANUEL POINT SHIPWRECK SITE Address Restricted. Artifactual remains indicate that the ship was most likely wrecked in the mid-16th century. The ship may be part of the 1559 colonization fleet of Tristan de Luna, which, with the exception of a brief settlement by Lucas Vasquez Ayollon in 1526, was the earliest attempt to permanently settle what is now the United States. The shipwreck was one of the most complete examples of a 16th century Spanish galleon and was one of only four wrecks from the 16th century found in United States waters at the time of its nomination to the National Register. Public-State. NR 1996.
Pensacola FORT GEORGE SITE La Rua at Palafox St. 1778. Site of a log fort built by the British to protect Pensacola. Captured by Spanish in 1781 following the Spanish alliance with the American colonies during the Revolution. Renamed Fort San Miguel, but allowed to deteriorate by the Spanish. Public. N.R. 1974.
Pensacola HICKORY RIDGE CEMETERY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE Address restricted. The Hickory Ridge site is a Mississippian cemetery dating from the late prehistoric or protohistoric periods. Archaeological testing has furnished archaeologists with a general understanding of the site, which appears to be an isolated cemetery associated with a Pensacola village site nearby. Private. NR 2000.
Pensacola JAMES HOUSE 1606 North Martin Luther King Boulevard. 1901. Lillie A. James was an outstanding local teacher of Black children, who used her home and adjacent buildings as a community school. Mrs. James taught from 1901 until her death in 1957. Mrs. James taught students through the 8th grade and emphasized education as a means of personal and social advancement. Members of her family and former students became prominent public leaders, including her son, Daniel “Chappie” James, the first Black four-star general in the United States military and Air Force commander of a base. Public-local. NR 2000.
Pensacola OLD CHRIST CHURCH 405 S. Adams St. 1830-1832. Gothic Revival. 1 story, brick, square bell tower. The oldest building used for religious purposes in northwest Florida. Built as an Episcopal Church, but used by several other denominations. From 1937 to 1957, it served as the Pensacola Public Library. Public. N.R. 1974.
Pensacola UNITED STATES CUSTOMS HOUSE & POST OFFICE 223 Palafox Place. 1887. Renaissance Revival. Three and one-half stories. The building housed the customs house, the post office, the district attorney’s office, the office of the internal revenue collector, and the office of the surgeon in charge of the marina hospital that was located in Pensacola. The Customs House served federal government functions including the monitoring of imports and exports from the region’s most active harbor which experienced its peak activity from the 1880s until World War I. Placed on the federal abandoned list in 1932, Escambia County officials moved into the customs house building in 1940. Public-local. NR 1997.
Pensacola USS MASSACHUSETTS (BB-2, Shipwreck) 1 mile south-southwest of Pensacola Pass. 19th century battleship. The pre-Dreadnaught battleship was launched in 1893 and was scuttled for target practice off Pensacola in 1921. This shipwreck is the nation’s oldest battleship and the only surviving example of pre-Dreadnaught warships authorized by Congress in 1890 for the United States’ new “Steel Navy.” The USS Massachusetts is also the only existing member of the Indiana class of battleships. On June 10, 1993, the 100th anniversary of its launching, the USS Massachusetts was dedicated as Florida’s fourth Underwater Archaeological Preserve. Public-State. NR 2001.