Historical Reports

Florida's History Through Its Places

Colored Border

Flagler County

312 - Vicinity of Bunnell
Vicinity of Bunnell BULOW PLANTATION RUINS Fl. S-5, 9 mi. SE of Bunnell. 1826. Bulow Plantation, founded in 1821, employed approximately 300 slaves growing sugarcane and cotton. Evacuated in 1835 during the Second Seminole War. Indians plundered it in that year, destroying all buildings. Museum. Public. N.R. 1970.

313 - Vicinity of St. Augustine
Vicinity of St. Augustine MARINE STUDIOS (Marineland). Fl. A1A, 18 mi. S of St. Augustine. 1937. Moderne style. John Walter Wood and M.F. Hasbrouch, architects. A complex of buildings and tanks, stuccoed, open grandstand. The world's first oceanarium and underwater motion picture studio. Leading Florida tourist attraction. Private. N.R. 1986.

953 - Bunnell
Bunnell CHEROKEE GROVE West of FL A1A and east of I-95, on Pellicer Cr., approximately .25 mi. south of the St. Johns-Flagler county line. 1888. Late 19th & 20th Century American Movement. Cherokee Grove is a complex of buildings consisting of a lodge, barn, servant’s quarters, pool, pool houses, ice house, and a well. The lodge is a one and one-half story early, architect designed, Bungalow style. The building’s design reflects the historic origins of the bungalow, featuring a simple plan, dominating hip roof pierced by chimneys, and an extensive verandah with rustic posts. Public-local. NR 1997.

311 - Bunnell
Bunnell OLD BUNNELL STATE BANK (Citizens Bank of Bunnell). 101-107 N. Bay St. 1917. Masonry Vernacular. 2 stories. Decorative brickwork on north side. Some wood paneling in interior. The only bank in Flagler County from 1917 until 1932, and again from 1938 to 1942. Private. N.R. 1992.

954 - Palm Coast
Palm Coast MALA COMPRA PLANTATION ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE 5880 North Oceanshore Boulevard. Mala Compra was the residence of Joseph Martin Hernandez and his family from 1816 until 1836 when the family abandoned the site during the Second Seminole War. Hernandez was Florida’s first voice in Congress as a territorial delegate in 1822 and 1823, the first Hispanic to serve in the U.S. Congress, and a militia general in the Second Seminole War. The archaeological remnants of the main house, well and kitchen offer vestiges representative of the numerous plantations that dotted the riverbanks of northeast Florida in the 1700s and 1800s. Public-local. NR 2004.

Colored Border

  • Return to main page.