Historical Reports

Florida's History Through Its Places

Colored Border

Highlands County

341 - Avon Park
Avon Park AVON PARK HISTORIC DISTRICT 1912-1935. 20 buildings, 16 of historical interest. Masonry Vernacular, Neo-Classical and Art Deco styles. Main Street Mall is the most significant feature of the district. The mall was laid out between 1920 and 1927. Numerous trees and monuments dot this mall. Public and Private. N.R. 1990.

342 - Lake Placid
Lake Placid OLD LAKE PLACID A.C.L. RAILROAD DEPOT 19 Park, W. 1926. Masonry Vernacular. 1 story. The building is covered by a gable roof and is distinguished by a loggia on 3 elevations. The station now functions as a museum of railroading and local history. Public. N.R. 1993.

343 - Sebring
Sebring CENTRAL STATION (Sebring Fire Station). 1927. Art Deco. William J. Heim, architect. 2 stories. Flat roof with steeped parapet and a prominent 4-story domed hose drying tower. First fire station in Florida of this style and served as model for several others. Private. N.R. 1989.

345 - Sebring
Sebring EDWARD HAINZ HOUSE 155 W. Center Ave. 1919. Bungalow and Craftsman styles. 2 stories. Japanese influence in design, including peaked truss work and in roof lines. House became an important model for Sebring residential architecture during the 1930s. Design was derived from the "bengali bangla," a house style used as a wayside shelter for British travelers in India during the 18th and 19th centuries. Private. N.R. 1989.

344 - Sebring
Sebring ELIZABETH HAINES HOUSE 605 Summit Drive. 1928. 2 stories. Stucco, with barrel-tile roof. Among the last of the "grand" residences of Sebring to be built. Elizabeth Haines, a wealthy Massachusetts widow, built the first house as a winter home. Private. N.R. 1993.

346 - Sebring
Sebring HARDER HALL 3300 Golfview Dr. 1927. Spanish Colonial Revival. William Manley King, architect. 7 stories. Rough stucco finished facade, arcaded loggias at various elevations, barrel-tile roof. A popular resort hotel of the 1920s. Private. N.R. 1990.

347 - Sebring
Sebring HIGHLANDS COUNTY COURTHOUSE 430 S. Commerce Ave. 1926. Classical Revival. Fred Bishop, architect. 3 stories. Colossal portico in the Ionic order. Built as an expression of confidence in the economic future of the county. Public. N.R. 1989.

348 - Sebring
Sebring OLD SEABOARD AIR LINE DEPOT E. Center Ave. 1924. Masonry Vernacular. 1 story. A common design for a railroad station of that period. The railroad provided Sebring with a far higher degree of access to northern visitors than previously. Private. N.R. 1990.

351 - Sebring
Sebring PAUL L. VINSON HOUSE 309 N. Lake View Dr. 1920. Mission and Spanish Colonial Revival. 2 stories. Primarily Mission style with Spanish Colonial and Art Deco elements in the design. Private. N.R. 1989.

349 - Sebring
Sebring SEBRING DOWNTOWN HISTORIC DISTRICT 1916-1927. 27 buildings, 22 of historical interest. Masonry Vernacular, Classical Revival. One of the distinguishing features of the district is the curvilinear facades of the main buildings that surround the central circular park. Private. N.R. 1990.

969 - Avon Park
Avon Park OLD PINECREST HOTEL 1609 South Lake Lotela Drive. Mediterranean Revival. The southernmost section of the hotel is the oldest (1926) and was designed to be the clubhouse of the Pinecrest Country Club. Two additional sections were added in 1936 and 1950. Designed by architect William Heim, the Pinecrest is an excellent example of the adaptation of the Mediterranean Revival style to a large hotel complex and is the largest and most elaborate Mediterranean Revival style building in the immediate Avon Park area. Private. NR 2000.

350 - Sebring
Sebring H. ORVEL SEBRING HOUSE 483 S. Lake View Dr. 1919. Spanish Colonial Revival. M. Leo Elliot, architect. 2 stories. Smooth stucco finishing, red-clay barrel-tile roof, numerous archways. The owner, Sebring, aided in attracting settlers to the community. He was the son of the city's founder. Private. N.R. 1989.

968 - Sebring
Sebring KENILWORTH LODGE 836 South Lakeview Drive. 1916. Mediterranean Revival. Three stories. The lodge was completed in 1916, less than four years after the founding of the town of Sebring. The hotel was designed in the tradition of the grand resort hotels that appealed to Florida’s wealthy tourist trade in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Though the end of the Great Florida Land Boom and the Great Depression brought a decline of active business at the Kenilworth, the lodge has continued to serve as a resort hotel since its construction. Private. NR 2000.

Colored Border

  • Return to main page.