Florida's History Through Its Places
Indian River County
Sebastion BAMMA VICKERS LAWSON HOUSE 1133 U.S. 1. c. 1911. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories. Well-preserved example of local vernacular architecture. The most intact building remaining from Sebastion's days of first settlement. Its first occupants were pioneer families. Presently a doctor's office. Private. N.R. 1990.
Vero Beach DRIFTWOOD INN AND RESTAURANT (The Breezeway). 3150 Ocean Dr. 1937. Frame Vernacular. Waldo E. Sexton, architect. 2 stories. 2 Frame Vernacular buildings, 1 a restaurant, the other an inn. Began as a summer retreat for the Sexton family. Later converted to an inn. Presently an inn and restaurant associated with a time-share community. Private. N.R. 1994.
Vero Beach JUDGE HENRY F. GREGORY HOUSE 2179 10th Ave. 1937. Monterey style. Bruce Kitchell, architect. 2 stories. Unusual style for area, most interesting feature is two-story porch. The Monterey style is Californian in origin. Built as winter residence for a Cook County, Illinois, circuit court judge and Florida land investor. Private. N.R. 1994.
Vero Beach OLD VERO BEACH COMMUNITY CENTER 2146 14th Ave. 1935, 1943. Frame Vernacular. 1 story. The original U-shaped building altered by an addition in 1943. Throughout its history the building has served as a social gathering place, playhouse, and meeting hall. Built as a federal project during the Depression. Public. N.R. 1993.
Vero Beach VERO BEACH (FEC) RAILROAD STATION 2336 14th Ave. 1903, enlarged and remodeled 1916 and 1936, relocated in 1984. Frame Vernacular. 1 story, shingle-sided. The building served the transportation needs of the community and its surrounding agricultural area for over 70 years. Now a county historical exhibit center. Private. N.R. 1987.
Vicinity of Sebastion PELICAN ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE E of Sebastion on the Indian River. 1903. Pelican Island, largest of several mangrove islands, and surrounding waters were declared the first National Wildlife Refuge in 1903 by Theodore Roosevelt. These islands form a large rookery for brown pelicans, cormorants, egrets, herons, ibis, and other water birds. Public. N.R. 1966.
Vicinity of Sebastion SPANISH FLEET SURVIVORS AND SALVORS CAMP SITE Fl. A1A in Sebastion Inlet State Park. 1715. When 12 Spanish merchant ships sank in area, about 1500 survivors gathered on this site. Later Spanish built a temporary settlement here while salvage operations were underway to regain the lost gold and silver aboard the sunken vessels. Public. N.R. 1970.
Fellsmere FELLSMERE PUBLIC SCHOOL 22 South Orange Street. Masonry Vernacular. The Fellsmere Public School was the first masonry school erected in Indian River County, the school was designed by Frederick H. Trimble, a prominent Orlando architect who began his career in Fellsmere. The school is the largest and most impressive of the historic buildings in Fellsmere, and is also the oldest historic public school standing in Indian River County. Public-local. N.R. 1996.
Fellsmere FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH 31 North Broadway. 1924. Bungalow/Craftsmen. The church was built by C.E. Nourse, a local contractor who was also a church member. Some of the materials used in the construction of the church were salvaged from older buildings in the community and brick was acquired from the Fellsmere Land Company. The church is one of two historic churches in the community, unusual in its adaptation of the Craftsman style to religious architecture. Private, Public-local. N.R. 1996.
Fellsmere MARIAN FELL LIBRARY 63 North Cypress Street. 1915. Vernacular. One story. The Marian Fell Library is named for one of the daughters of E. Nelson Fell, the founder of Fellsmere. Marian Fell was a published translator who donated her publication royalties to the Fellsmere Library Association, formed in 1914, for the construction of a library and the acquisition of books. The building served as a popular site for lectures, recitals, public meetings, and a variety of functions hosted by the Library Association. Private. N.R. 1996.
Orchid Island JUNGLE TRAIL State Road 252, “Old A-1-A” Jungle Trail is a narrow, unpaved public road, approximately 7.5 miles long, located on the barrier island in northeastern Indian River County, Florida. Jungle Trail began as a county road, designed to speed the movement of citrus to mainland packinghouses. Originally stretching over 14 miles, the road became a part of the Vero Beach tourist scene in the 1930s and 1940s. The road remains unpaved and is currently used by vehicular traffic, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Public-local. N.R. 2003.
Sebastian ARCHIE SMITH WHOLESALE FISH COMPANY 1740 Indian River Drive. Frame Vernacular. The Archie Smith Wholesale Fish Company consists of the Archie Smith residence, a net storage/outhouse building, crab house, and dock. Mr. Smith bought the property in 1927 and began to expand the fish company after its establishment in 1932. This complex of buildings typifies the kind of family business that existed all along both sides of the Florida peninsula in the early part of the twentieth-century. Private. N.R. 1994.
Sebastian SEBASTIAN GRAMMAR AND JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL 1225 Main Street. 1928. Mediterranean Revival. Two stories. The Sebastian Grammar and Junior High School, also known as Old Sebastian Elementary School, and now serving as the Sebastian City Hall, was designed in 1926 by Fort Pierce architects William W. Hatcher and Lawrence S. Funke. Its distinctive features include its stucco exterior, use of red barrel tile, arched windows and entrances, decorative frieze and caneles, and original sash windows. The school building is the only building in Sebastian designed with the Mediterranean Revival architectural style. Public-local. N.R. 2001.
Vero Beach HALLSTROM HOUSE 1723 Southwest Old Dixie Highway. 1918. Masonry Vernacular. Two story, brick on frame residence. The Hallstrom Farmstead began as a 40-acre pineapple plantation in 1909. The Main house was designed by Axel Hallstrom of Sweden, who, along with local Swedish and Norse craftsmen, built the home. Axel eventually moved from the cultivation of pineapple to the citrus business and was a charter member of the Florida Citrus Exchange, and served as the group’s president in 1927. Private. N.R. 2002.
Vero Beach INDIAN RIVER COUNTY COURTHOUSE 2145 14th Avenue. 1937. Masonry Vernacular, Art Moderne. Two stories. Designed by architect W.H. Garns, the Indian River County Courthouse was one of the major federal projects constructed in Florida during the Depression Decade. Construction of the courthouse took place from April 1936 to March 1937, and was funded through a loan from the Public Works Administration. Characteristic of the Government Moderne style, the Courthouse features very symmetrical design and limited detailing. Private. N.R. 1999.
Vero Beach MAHER BUILDING 1423 20th Street. 1920. Masonry Vernacular. One and two stories. Located in the original 1913 plat of the Town of Vero, the Maher Building is one of the few remaining commercial buildings in Vero Beach from the 1920s Florida Land Boom era. In 1917 William J. and Katie Maher built a dry goods store which burned down in late 1919. The existing masonry structure was completed in 1920 and served as a grocery, drug store, and rooming house. Private. N.R. 1994.
Vero Beach MCKEE JUNGLE GARDENS 350 US Highway 1. Horticulturists Arthur McKee and Waldo Sexton developed McKee Jungle Gardens, a native Florida hammock that was transformed into a botanical garden, designed by Harvard-trained landscape architect William Lyman Phillips. The attraction featured nature trails, water features and a diversity of native and exotic flora, along with different species of exotic animals in a natural environment. The Gardens opened to the public in January 1932 and operated until 1976, drawing as many as 100,000 visitors each year. Private. N.R. 1998.
Vero Beach PUEBLO ARCADE 2044 14th Street. 1926. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. Two story, masonry construction. During the 1920s, the number of visitors and residents to Vero Beach increased as the area became a nationally renowned citrus growing region. Built by local contractors, Blackford and Davis, the Pueblo Arcade was constructed in the city’s commercial center as part of the rapid development that took place following the fire of 1919. The Pueblo Arcade is the only local example of a commercial arcade in Vero Beach. Private. N.R. 1997.
Vero Beach ROYAL PARK ARCADE 1059 21st Street. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Two-story, wood frame construction. The building was designed by architects William W. Hatcher and Lawrence S. Funke, who worked on a number of projects for the Vero Beach Construction Company, the building’s original owners. The first floor of the building is divided into commercial units with storefronts, the majority of which open onto the arcaded loggia, while the second floor consists of apartments. In 1938 Parkway, Inc. of Vero Beach acquired the building and renamed it the Parkway Hotel, from which the current name, “Parkway Plaza,” was derived. Private. N.R. 1998.
Vero Beach THEODORE HAUSMANN HOUSE 4800 16th Street. 1922. Frame vernacular, U-shaped plan. The Hausmann House was constructed in 1922, just as Vero Beach was entering its most significant period of historic development, as a winter home for New York residents Theodore and Blanche Hausmann. The house encompasses a variety of design elements without representing any particular style and a high level of craftsmanship is evident in the arched French doors, paneled cypress doors, textured plaster, marble chimney breasts, and heart of pine flooring. Private. N.R. 1997.
Vero Beach VERO BEACH DIESEL POWER PLANT 1246 19th Street. 1926. Masonry Vernacular. After the town incorporated in 1919, the area’s rapid growth quickly overwhelmed the small, private power plant that had previously serviced the town. The town council purchased the plant and eventually hired architects Carter and Damerow and the engineering firm of Kennard & Sons to design a new power plant. The Vero Beach Diesel Power Plant was the first public utilities facility built by the town, and is the oldest municipal building in the community. Public-local. N.R. 1999.
Vero Beach VERO BEACH WOMAN’S CLUB 1534 21st Street. 1916. Frame Vernacular. One story. The Vero Beach Woman’s Club was founded in 1915 and one year later the construction of their clubhouse was completed. Increasing membership led to the expansion of the building which was enlarged in 1926. For over forty years the women of the Club operated the only library facility in the community from this building. The vernacular building incorporates elements of the Craftsman/bungalow tradition and Colonial Revival elements. Private. N.R. 1995.