Florida's History Through Its Places
Boca Grande CHARLOTTE HARBOR AND NORTHERN RAILWAY DEPOT Park and 4th Sts. 1909-1910, 1912-1913. Mediterranean Revival elements. 2 stories, beige brick, arcaded loggia, tile roof. A symbol of the importance of railroads in the opening of the area for phosphate exports as well as tourism. Private. N.R. 1979.
Buckingham BUCKINGHAM SCHOOL Intersection of Buckingham Rd. and Cemetery Rd. 1895. Frame Vernacular. T.M. Parks and M.S. Gonzalez, architects. 1 story. Metal hipped roof. Area settled by homesteaders who practiced truck farming, citrus cultivation and cattle ranching. Classes were held from 1-8th grade. Oldest known schoolhouse in Lee County. Now used for social functions. Public. N.R. 1989.
Estero KORESHAN UNITY SETTLEMENT HISTORIC DISTRICT U.S. 41 at Estero River. 1894. Community complex of 20 buildings from the original 30; includes auditorium, residences, dormitories, post office, bakery, store, and machine shop. Frame Vernacular is predominant style. Settled by Koreshan Unity, a communal sect based on scientific and economic theories emphasizing education, culture, and landscaping. Declined after death of Cyrus Teed (1908), its founder. State Park. N.R. 1976.
Fort Myers FORT MYERS DOWNTOWN COMMERCIAL DISTRICT 1888-1939. 76 buildings, 70 of historical interest. Commercial, Classical Revival, Moderne, Mediterranean Revival styles predominate. Commercial district evolved from Fort Harvie, a Seminole Indian War army post. Settlers took apart the fort to build Fort Myers' first buildings. Perhaps the best example of early 20th century commercial styles in SW Florida. Public and Private. N.R. 1990.
Fort Myers HENRY FORD ESTATE 2400 McGregor Blvd. c. 1895. Frame Vernacular with Craftsman elements. 1 and a half stories. Located next to the Edison home, it remains in virtually the same condition as when the automobile maker lived there. Was his winter home from 1916 to 1931. Curiously, Ford never built a garage or driveway. Public. N.R. 1988.
Fort Myers LEE COUNTY COURTHOUSE 2120 Main St. 1915. Classical Revival. Francis J. Kennard, architect. 2 stories. Buff-colored brick Classical Doric columns at main entrance. Second courthouse of Lee County. Built with considerable objection from those who did not want to replace the old frame courthouse with a $85,000 new one. Public. N.R. 1989.
Fort Myers PAUL LAWRENCE DUNBAR SCHOOL 1857 High St. 1927. Mission Revival. L.N. Iredell, architect. 2 stories. T-shaped cement block building with stuccoed exterior walls. From 1927 to 1962 it was the only secondary school facility for black children in Lee County. Prior to its construction county only provided black children instruction through the 10th grade. Public. N.R. 1992.
Fort Myers THOMAS EDISON WINTER ESTATE 2350 McGregor Blvd. 1886+. The winter estate is a 14-acre property with 8 buildings of historical interest. Seminole Lodge, the main residence, is 2 connecting buildings. Purchased in 1885 by Edison at a time when Fort Myers was still a little cattle town, Edison developed the property into a winter home and secondary research facility. Now a museum. Public. N.R. 1991.
Vicinity of Estero MOUND KEY In Koreshan State Park. Prehistoric, 15th-16th centuries. Glades period. 2 large oval, earth-and-shell mounds, a large truncated temple mound, a low burial mound, several smaller mounds, and a man-made canal. A large village center believed to have been visited by Pedro MenŽndez de AvilŽs in 1565. Site of Jesuit mission. Public. N.R. 1970.
Vicinity of Pine Island DEMERE KEY In Pine Island Sound. A.D. 800-A.D. 1700. Glades and Historic periods. Several mounds, canals, 12-foot conch-shell seawall, and flat truncated conch-shell pyramid presumed to have been a temple foundation. One of the finest examples of late prehistoric through early historic Calusa settlements in southwest Florida. Private. N.R. 1972.
Alva ALVA CONSOLIDATED SCHOOLS 21291 North River Road. (First Alva Junior High School, 1914, Masonry Vernacular, two stories; First Alva High School,1927, Mediterranean Revival, two stories) The original Alva Junior High School was constructed in 1914 and was the first permanent masonry school building in Lee County outside of Fort Myers. The Alva High School was built in 1927 as part of a county-wide campaign to improve school facilities during the Florida land boom period. The buildings are excellent examples of early twentieth century school design and the 1927 school is the only example of the Mediterranean Revival style architecture in Alva. Public-local. NR 1999.
Boca Grande BOCA GRANDE COMMUNITY CENTER East of Park Avenue, between First and Second Streets. Mission/Spanish Revival. The Community Center is a complex of three contributing buildings: the Boca Grande School, the Boca Grande School Teacherage, and the Boca Grande Community House. The Mediterranean style Boca Grande School was designed by prominent Fort Myers architect N. Gaillard Walker and was completed in 1929. The Community House is one of the few brick structures in Boca Grande. Public-local. NR 1995.
Boca Grande BOCA GRANDE QUARANTINE STATION 833 Belcher Road. Frame Vernacular. One story. Constructed between 1892 and 1895, the structure was used as a quarantine station until 1904. In the following decades, the building was leased to the William H. Johnson family, who had established a pilot service on Gasparilla Island by 1888. The family acquired ownership of the building and three generations of pilots and their families lived in the house between 1904 and 1964, when visual sighting of a ship was no longer necessary. The Quarantine Station is painted yellow, the symbolic quarantine color. Private. NR 1996.
Bokeelia PUNTA GORDA FISH COMPANY CABIN Frame Vernacular. One story, on wood pilings. The Punta Gorda Fish Company Cabin is associated with events significant to the history of the Charlotte harbor commercial fishing industry. Built before 1930, this residential cabin provided temporary shelter for fishermen on extended fishing expeditions. The building has a sheet metal gable roof, marine plywood siding, and a wood dock. Private. N.R. 2003.
Bokeelia USEPPA ISLAND SITE Address restricted. The Useppa Island Site is an excellent example of a multi-component complex including a prominent Caloosahatchee Culture and Late Archaic occupations. The site’s deposits have both pre-Columbian and historic affiliation and document at least 5,000, and possibly 8,000 years of human activity. Private. N.R. 1996.
Bonita Springs BONITA SPRINGS SCHOOL 10701 Bonita Springs Road. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. The Bonita Springs School is comprised of two school buildings: a 1921, masonry vernacular structure, and a 1927 Mediterranean Revival style structure. In the early 1940s the two buildings were united by a short brick connector joining the main halls of the two school buildings. The school is the only surviving historic educational building in Bonita Springs and was constructed as a part of the first concerted effort by the county’s school districts to provide modern and safe educational facilities for school age children. Public-local. N.R. 1999.
Fort Myers CASA RIO 2424 McGregor Boulevard. 1925. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. Achitects Van Ryn and de Gelleke, principals in one of the most prominent architectural firms in Wisconsin from the late 1890s to the mid 1930s, designed Casa Rio for C.W. Stribley. Stribley was a wealthy paper manufacturer who selected the site for Casa Rio after visiting Thomas Edison at his winter estate. Casa Rio is an exemplary example of the Mission/Colonial Revival style and is the only known design by the firm of Van Ryn and de Gelleke in Florida. Private. N.R. 1996.
Fort Myers EDISON PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 2401 Euclid Avenue. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. Two stories. Constructed of stuccoed hollow clay tile. The building is associated with a massive building campaign undertaken by the Lee County School Board in the 1920s to improve and consolidate school facilities throughout the county. Thomas Alva Edison, and his wife, Mina, were present and participated in the dedication of the school by planting a Cuban laurel tree that, at the time of nomination, still stood on the property. For a time, the school auditorium was the largest in Fort Myers and was used as a community center, hosting a wide variety of entertainment productions. N.R. 1999.
Fort Myers GILMER HEITMAN HOUSE 2577 First Street. 1908. Late Victorian/Queen Anne. The Gilmer Heitman House is one of only three surviving, stately early-twentieth century residences that once lined the Caoloosahatchee riverfront near the city’s commercial core. The home was built for Gilmer Heitman, Sr., who played an important role in the commercial development of Fort. Myers. The structure is a significant local example of Queen Anne style and is one of the largest and most elaborate early 20th century residences in Fort Myers. Private. N.R. 1996.
Fort Myers TERRY PARK BALLFIELD 3410 Palm Beach Boulevard. 1925. Terry Park Ballfield is one of the oldest remaining major league baseball spring training sites in Florida. Initially constructed to accommodate the Philadelphia Athletics, the ball field has hosted a number of major league clubs during its history. The historic park retains the intimate ambiance of the older and smaller ballparks. Public-local. N.R. 1995.
Fort Myers Beach FORT MYERS BEACH SCHOOL 2751 Oak Street. 1947. Masonry Vernacular. One story. The Beach School was the first permanent school building in Lee County to be designed by James A. Stripling, a major architect of schools in Florida. Constructed in 1947, it was the first substantial education building constructed in Lee County since the Depression. The simple façade of the school contrasts sharply with the ornate schools constructed in the county during the years of the Florida land boom in the 1920s, and the style served as a model for subsequent school construction undertaken during the 1950s and 1960s. Public-local. N.R. 1999.
North Fort Myers J. COLIN ENGLISH SCHOOL 120 Pine Island Road. 1946. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. Concrete block construction, rough stucco exterior surfacing. Included within the National Register boundaries for the property are the original school building, a former cafeteria building, and a low marl stone wall that encloses a landscaped lawn in front of the school. Architect N. Gallard Walker designed the school, and Franklin Wheeler, who had previously constructed the Alva High School in 1927, was the contractor. The school is the only surviving historic educational building in the North Fort Myers area of Lee County. Public-local. N.R. 1999.
North shore of entrance to Safety Harbor, North Captiva Island PUNTA GORDA FISH COMPANY ICE HOUSE 1924. One story, rests on a wooden platform supported by wood pilings. The Ice House is one of few remaining buildings documenting the system of remote, water-based fish industry ice houses. The structure was built as an ice house to serve the fishermen and run boats in the loading, unloading and storage of freshly caught fish. The structure is a specialized form designed to function under potentially adverse weather conditions, relative isolation, and the possible requirement to relocate the building to follow the migration of the fish. Private. N.R. 1989.
Olga OLGA SCHOOL Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. The Olga School was constructed as part of a general educational facility expansion initiated in Lee County during the Florida Land Boom years of the mid-1920s. The school was designed by architect W.O. Sparklin, who was one of two Fort Myers architects selected by the School Board to execute plans for the education facilities that were to be constructed under the 1926 bond issue. The building’s architecture reflects the extension of the Mediterranean Revival influence into the rural communities of south Florida in the Boom period of the 1920s. Public-local. N.R. 1995.
Pine Island Sound DORMITORIES AND ICE HOUSES ASSOCIATED WITH FISHING INDUSTRY. 1920-1945. 9 Frame Vernacular buildings set on pilings in Pine Island Sound. 8 were used as dormitories for commercial fisherman and 2 as ice houses to preserve fish until they could be brought to Fort Myers for sale. Most used today as fish camps for sports fishermen. Private. N.R. 1989,1991.
Sanibel SANIBEL COLORED SCHOOL 520 Tarpon Bay Road. Frame Vernacular. The schoolhouse is a simple wood frame vernacular building that originally contained one room. Additions were placed on the south and west elevations of the building in 1930 and 1977, respectively. It was established in 1929 at the end of Lee County’s first concerted effort to consolidate the school system. It is one of only three remaining historic schools for black children in Lee County. Private. N.R. 1999.
Southeast of Point Blanco Island, Pine Island Sound ICE HOUSE AT POINT BLANCO Frame vernacular. One story on wood pilings. The Ice House at Point Blanco was constructed before 1930 by the Punta Gorda Fish Company. The ice house is unusual for its function as a storage facility in a waterborne environment. It is one of only a few ice houses left standing in Charlotte Harbor from the pre-World War II fishing industry. Private. N.R. 1991.
Southwest of Little Wood Key, Pine Island Sound ICE HOUSE AT CAPTIVA ROCKS Wood frame vernacular. Constructed before 1930 by the Punta Gorda Fish Company. A three bay building, the south room was used for the storage of ice. Run boats operated by the local fish companies regularly brought ice and supplies to the icing stations and transported fish back to the mainland fish houses. The docking system around the structure was designed to accommodate a variety of vessels, from large size run boats to smaller fishing boats and pole skiffs. Private. N.R. 1991.
St. James City GALT ISLAND ARCHEOLOGICAL DISTRICT Address Restricted. The district contains nine major features: three shell complexes, two canals, two isolated shell mounds, a sand burial mound, and the mangrove wetlands. Galt Island joins Useppa as one of the few archeological sites in the region known to include a Middle Archaic cultural component. Artifacts indicate that Galt Island was occupied during early historic times, during the period of Calusa prominence and demise. Private. N.R. 1996.
Tice TICE GRAMMAR SCHOOL 4524 Tice Street. 1927. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. Two stories. The Mediterranean Revival design of architect W.O. Sparklin is expressed in the building’s gable and stepped parapet roof, curved stairway, and decorative terra-cotta door and window surrounds. Designed to service the immediate and future educational needs of the community, the school was the largest educational building erected in the county at the time it was completed. Public-local. N.R. 1999.
West of Little Wood Key, Pine Island Sound HENDRICKSON FISH CABIN AT CAPTIVA ROCKS Wood frame vernacular. The cabin was built sometime before 1930 by the Punta Gorda Fish Company. The concrete pilings are dated 1929 and 1937. The residential cabin represents a specialized form of architecture designed to meet the specific needs of the Charlotte Harbor fishing industry. While strictly vernacular in form, it is constructed of the most durable materials available, that of hear pine and cypress, in order to withstand climatic extremes. Private. N.R. 1991.
West of Little Wood Key, Pine Island Sound LARSEN FISH CABIN AT CAPTIVA ROCKS Frame Vernacular. One story, on wood pilings. The cabin was built around 1920 as a net drying station and originally consisted of only the small northern wing. In 1957, the larger southern wing was added using like materials. Net drying posts were found on a large deck platform. Like other stilt cabins built by the Punta Gorda Fish Company, the Larsen Fish Cabin can be lifted off its pilings and moved to more abundant fishing grounds if necessary. Private. N.R. 1991.
West of Little Wood Key, Pine Island Sound NORTON FISH CABIN AT CAPTIVA ROCKS c. 1920. Frame Vernacular. One story, on wood pilings. The Norton Fish Cabin at Captiva Rocks is the northernmost fish cabin located at Captiva Rocks shoal in Pine Island Sound. This cabin is distinguished from the others by the fact that it was the permanent residence of Manuel Norton, a commercial fisherman. Norton raised 10 children at the camp. Private. N.R. 1991.
West of Pine Island, Pine Island Sound FISH CABIN AT WHITE ROCK SHOALS. ca. 1920-1941. Wood frame vernacular. The Fish Cabin at White Rock Shoals is associated with events significant to the history of the Charlotte Harbor commercial fishing industry, one of the largest fishing operations in Florida prior to World War II. The fish camp buildings of Pine Island Sound, where this cabin is located, were constructed in the early 20th century by the Punta Gorda Fish Company. The Fish Camp at White Rock Shoals provided a home away from home for fishermen who were on extended fishing expeditions. N.R. 1991.