Historical Reports

Florida's History Through Its Places

Colored Border

Madison County

472 - Madison
Madison FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH Pickney and Orange Sts. 1898+. Queen Anne. Stephen Crockett, architect. 1 story, frame, 2 and a half-story tower, semioctagonal wing, large semicircular bay. Rare example of Queen Anne style in church architecture. Designed by the Reverend Stephen Crockett, English immigrant, who was pastor of the church for a time. Private. N.R. 1978.

470 - Greenville
Greenville BISHOP ANDREWS HOTEL 1902. 109 Redding St. Queen Anne. 3 stories. Most notable feature is a wraparound porch. The only remaining historic hotel in Greenville. It served this function until c. 1954. Presently houses a Bed and Breakfast: http://www.gracemanorinn.com. Public. N.R. 1990.

471 - Madison
Madison DIAL-GOZA HOUSE 105 NE Marion St. c. 1880. High Victorian Italianate. 2 stories, square cupola, front and side entrance portico. Built for William M. Dial, local planter, as his town residence. Private. N.R. 1973.

473 - Madison
Madison WARDLAW-SMITH HOUSE 103 N. Washington St. c. 1860. Greek Revival. William A. Hammerly, architect. 2-story colonnade on all 4 sides. Built for Benjamin F. Wardlaw, prominent local civic leader. Served as a hospital following the Civil War Battle of Olustee in Baker County. Private. N.R. 1972.

Colored Border

  • Return to main page.