Florida's History Through Its Places
Maitland MAITLAND ART CENTER 231 W. Packwood Ave. 1937. Aztec-Mayan motifs. Andres Smith, architect. 6 principal buildings and several utility buildings, courtyard, and ornamental pool. Buildings and walls are ornamented with bas reliefs cast in concrete. Richly decorated garden. Winter home of Andres Smith, architect, etcher, painter, author, and outspoken advocate of modern art. Formerly an artists' village. Public. N.R. 1982.
Orlando ROGERS BUILDING (English Club) 37-39 S. Magnolia Ave. 1886+. Eclectic. 2 stories, exterior fabric is pressed zinc cladding, main facade has heavily embossed friezes. One of the most distinctive late 19th-century buildings in Central Florida and one of the best-preserved examples of sheet-metal construction in the state. Second floor served for a time as a club for English immigrants. Private. N.R. 1985.
Vicinity of Sorrento TWIN MOUNDS ARCHAEOLOGICAL DISTRICT W bank of the Wekiva River, 7 miles S of its confluence with the St. Johns River. 2000 B.C.-A.D. 1565. Orange, Transitional, St. Johns I and II. 2 snail and mussel shell middens. The dense deposit of shell and aboriginal food remains in the midden is a record of 3000 years of cultural adaptation to the central Florida wetlands. Public. N.R. 1992.
Maitland WILLIAM H. WATERHOUSE HOUSE 820 S. Lake Lily Dr. 1884. Frame Vernacular. William H. Waterhouse, architect. 2 and a half stories. Built by William H. Waterhouse, a pioneer developer in Maitland. Waterhouse, a New Yorker, took a traditional Northeast architectural style and adapted it for the Florida environment. Private. N.R. 1983.
Orlando DR. P. PHILLIPS HOUSE. 135 Lucerne Circle, NE. 1893. Shingle style. L.M. Boykin, architect. 2 and a half stories, frame, 3-story tower and monumental Ionic portico. Owned by Dr. P. Phillips, one of Florida's most successful early citrus growers. It is the only Shingle-style residence in the city. Phillips added the Ionic portico. Public. N.R. 1979.
Orlando FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST (St. George Orthodox Church) 24 N. Rosalind Ave. 1926-1927. Classical Revival. George Foote Durham, architect. 2 and a half stories, masonry, the main facade has a Doric portico, copper dome. The Christian Scientist congregation abandoned the church in 1975 and it was acquired by the Greek Orthodox congregation. Private. N.R. 1980.
Orlando J.J. BRIDGES HOUSE 704 S. Kuhl Ave. 1916. Colonial Revival. Wilson C. Ely, architect. 2 stories, frame, gabled roof, main entrance has portico, on west facade is portico with balcony. The first of the highly academic, Colonial-Revival-style homes built in the area. Built for the Rev. J.J. Bridges, a retired New York clergyman. Private. N.R. 1984.
Orlando OLD ORLANDO RAILROAD DEPOT Depot Pl. and W. Church St. 1889. Eclectic Victorian. 2 and a half stories, brick, hipped roof section, 3-story corner tower with 3-story open porch. Built for Henry B. Plant, 19th-century railroad and hotel magnate, during the large-scale development of the area. Private. N.R. 1976.
Orlando TINKER BUILDING 16-18 W. Pine St. 1925+. Masonry Vernacular. 2 stories, brick, detail on front facade of brick, terra-cotta, and tile. Associated with Joe (Joseph B.) Tinker, one of baseball's legendary personalities, member of the Baseball Hall of Fame and a major Orlando developer. Private. N.R. 1980.
Winter Park EDWARD HILL BREWER HOUSE (The Palms) 240 Trismen Tr. 1899+. Colonial Revival. 2 and a half stories, enlarged in 1923 to include porticos with fluted Ionic columns, an altered veranda, balustraded 2nd-story decks. Edward Hill Brewer was a prominent Cortland, New York, manufacturer who used the house as a winter residence. Private. N.R. 1982.