Florida's History Through Its Places
Palm Beach County
Boca Raton ADMINISTRATION BUILDINGS 2 Camino Real. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Addison Mizner, architect. 2 2-story buildings arranged around a large open courtyard. L-shaped porches, ceilings supported by unique cast-stone Moorish columns. Excellent example of the mature style of Mizner. They housed the offices of his development corporation, but shortly after their completion the Florida land boom ended and the corporation failed. Private. N.R. 1985.
Boca Raton FRED C. AIKEN HOUSE 801 Hibiscus St. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Addison Mizner, architect. 2 stories. The house is located in one of the most modest neighborhoods of early Boca Raton. Aiken, a film executive, helped develop the area. He lived in the house until his death in 1959. Private. N.R. 1992.
Boynton Beach BOYNTON SCHOOL 141 E. Ocean Ave. 1913. Masonry Vernacular. William W. Maughlin, architect. 2 stories. The site has been associated with community affairs since 1900. There is a 1927 high school building to the west of it. Site originally had one-room school house. School still in use. Public. N.R. 1994.
Lake Worth GULF STREAM HOTEL (El Nuevo Hotel) 1 Lake Ave. 1923. Masonry Vernacular with Mediterranean Revival elements. G. Lloyd Preacher, architect. 6 stories, masonry, stuccoed, arcade on its 2 street sides. Stucco shields and other decorations. 135-room luxury hotel built during a time when Lake Worth was among the most important tourist centers of South Florida. Private. N.R. 1983.
Palm Beach BREAKERS HOTEL COMPLEX S. County Rd. 1925. Classical Revival. Schultze and Weaver, architects. 6 to 8 stories, concrete, clay tile, cast-stone trim, enclosed east loggia, decorative engaged and freestanding columns and pilasters, twin towers, central courtyard. One of the few remaining grand hotels in the nation with its original public rooms. Hotel retains the elegance of a past era, when it played a major role in the tourist industry of South Florida. Private. N.R. 1973.
Palm Beach HENRY MORRISON FLAGLER HOUSE (Whitehall) Whitehall Way. 1901. Classical Revival. Carrere and Hastings, architects. 2 stories (3 stories in front). Brick, stuccoed, tile roof, 2-story Doric portico. Henry M. Flagler (1830-1913), founding partner of Standard Oil Co., began a hotel and railroad empire in the 1880s along Florida's east coast. Key figure in the development of Palm Beach. House museum. Private. N.R. 1972.
Palm Beach VIA MIZNER 337-339 Worth Ave. 1923,1925. Mediterranean Revival. Addison Mizner, architect. A complex of 1 -, 2 -, 3 - and 5-story buildings used for commerce and as residences. Addison Mizner lived in an apartment within the complex from 1925 to 1933. Area recently restored. Private. N.R. 1993.
Palm Beach VINETA HOTEL 363 Cocoanut Row. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. 3 stories, masonry, stuccoed, walled interior courtyard, arched tower. Hotel closely associated with Atwater Kent, famous inventor. Representative of the type of resort hotel designed during the Florida land boom of the 1920s. Private. N.R. 1986.
Boca Raton BOCA RATON OLD CITY HALL. 71 N. Federal Highway. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. William E. Alsmeyer, architect. 1 to 2 stories, tile roof, entrance section has a curvilinear gabled roof surmounted by a domed bell tower. One of the important elements in Addison Mizner's dream city of Boca Raton. Restored in 1984 by Boca Raton Historical Society. Public. N.R. 1980.
Boca Raton FLORIDA EAST COAST RAILWAY PASSENGER STATION. 741 S. Dixie Hwy. 1930. Mediterranean Revival. Chester G. Henninger, architect. 1 story, with 2-story tower, 5-bay arcaded loggia on east side; addition added in 1957 on north side. Built for Clarence Geist, who purchased the Boca Raton holdings of the Mizner Development Corporation after the collapse of the Florida land boom. Private. N.R. 1980.
Boynton Beach BOYNTON WOMAN'S CLUB 1010 S. Federal Highway. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Addison Mizner, architect. 2 stories, masonry with painted stucco, tile roof. Loggia on 3 sides. The social hub of Boynton Beach in the 1930s. Until 1961 it housed the local library, founded by the Woman's Club. Private. N.R. 1979.
Delray Beach DELRAY BEACH SCHOOLS. N Swinton Ave. 1913-1926. Mediterranean Revival. 3 detached buildings. The oldest was built in 1913. The high school, built in 1926, is 2 stories and of Mediterranean Revival style. The gymnasium, also built in 1926, is 2-story Mediterranean. Schools are still in use. Public. N.R. 1988.
Delray Beach SEABOARD AIR LINE RAILWAY STATION. 1525 W. Atlantic Ave. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. Harvey and Clarke, architects. 1 story, masonry, stuccoed, barrel-tile roof, 2-story tower. Served the commercial and transportation needs of the community during the period when highway transportation was just beginning. Private. N.R. 1986.
Lake Park KELSEY CITY CITY HALL. 535 Park Ave. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. Bruce Kitchell, architect. 2 stories, masonry, stuccoed, decorative detail on main entrance. Town hall of Kelsey City (Lake Park), a 1920s land boom town, which was one of the area's first luxury winter resorts. Public. N.R. 1981.
Palm Beach PARAMOUNT THEATRE BUILDING. 145 N. County Rd. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Joseph Urban, architect. 2 and a half stories, masonry, stuccoed, 2 and a half-story entrance, breezeway terrace. Designed as a complete cultural center that included theater, residences, restaurant, shops, and offices. In 1930s and 1940s center of live entertainment as well as films. Now offices. Private. N.R. 1973.
Palm Beach WILLIAM GRAY WARDEN RESIDENCE (Warden House) 112 Seminole Ave. 1922. Mediterranean Revival. Addison Mizner, architect. 2 stories, masonry with stone balusters and stairs, stained pecky-cypress ceilings, barrel-tile roof. Open cloister connects north and south wing. Outstanding example of Mediterranean Revival. Notable adaptive re-use as condominiums. Private. N.R. 1984.
Vicinity of Jupiter JUPITER INLET HISTORIC AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE. Off Fl. A1A. 500 B.C.-19th century. Glades period and Historic period. Irregular mound of shell approximately 80 yards by 25 to 50 yards. Varies in height from 3 to 15 feet. Site of long human occupation. There is evidence that Indians at this site had contact with early Spanish. 19th-century structure on site. Public. N.R. 1985.
Vicinity of Jupiter JUPITER INLET LIGHTHOUSE. Jct. of Loxahatchee River and Jupiter Sound. 1854-1859. Conical tower. George G. Meade and John W. Nystrem, architects. Brick, 105 feet high. Built to improve navigation along the Florida east coast. Confederates put light out during Civil War. Public. N.R. 1973.
West Palm Beach DIXIE COURT HOTEL. 301 N. Dixie Hwy. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Harvey and Clarke, architects. 7 stories, 2 elaborate classically derived entrances and large window openings with elaborate cast-stone surrounds. Architecturally as well as commercially significant because of its close association with the Florida land boom of the 1920s. Private. N.R. 1986.
West Palm Beach HIBISCUS APARTMENTS. 619 Hibiscus St. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Chalker, Lund and Crittenden, architects. 3 stories, masonry, stuccoed, classical entrance, wrought-iron window grilles on front. An early Mediterranean Revival apartment building in West Palm Beach. Private. N.R. 1984.
West Palm Beach NORTHWEST HISTORIC DISTRICT 1915-1941. 469 buildings, 316 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular, Craftsman and Bungalow styles predominate. Area was an integral part of the city's historic black district. Consists primarily of small 1- and 2-story frame residences and apartments. Private. N.R. 1992.
West Palm Beach OLD NORTHWOOD HISTORIC DISTRICT early 20th century. 335 buildings, 320 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular and Revival styles predominate. The district consists mainly of 1- and 2-story single-family residences. Once one of West Palm Beach's more expensive neighborhoods. Private. N.R. 1994.
West Palm Beach OLD PALM BEACH JUNIOR COLLEGE BUILDING. 813 Gardenia Ave. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. William Manly King, architect. Corner pavilions with parapets and cast-concrete detail. Stucco walls. Originally served as a science/manual training building for Old Palm Beach High School. Presently vacant. Public. N.R. 1991.
West Palm Beach SEABOARD COAST LINE RAILWAY PASSENGER STATION. Tamarind Ave. at Datura St. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. L. Philips Clarke, architect. 2 stories with tower on north facade, 1 story on south facade, masonry, stuccoed, arched main entrance with engaged Corinthian columns, elaborate Spanish Baroque decorations. The railroad company diverged from its standard architectural form for this station because of the importance of many of the passengers who used it. Private. N.R. 1973.