Florida's History Through Its Places
Belleair BELLEVIEW-BILTMORE HOTEL 25 Belleview Blvd. 1896+. Eclectic with Shingle-style elements. Michael J. Miller and Francis J. Kinnard, architects. 4 and a half stories, frame, 3 principal sections, each 400 feet long, broad verandas. Largest wood-frame building in Florida. Hotel constructed for Henry B. Plant, who developed the railway system on the Florida west coast during the 1890s and sought to increase traffic by building tourist facilities. Private. N.R. 1979.
Clearwater DONALD ROEBLING ESTATE (Spotswood) 700 Orange Ave. 1929+. Tudor Revival. Roy W. Wakeling, architect. 2 and a half-story main house, red brick, bay windows on entrance and garden facade, semi-octagonal elevator tower added in 1939. Home of Donald Roebling, inventor. Among other things he invented an amphibious vehicle here that was the prototype of one used extensively in World War II. Private. Estate subdivided. N.R. 1979.
Clearwater HARBOR OAKS RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1914-1937. 109 buildings, 87 of historical interest. Revival, Vernacular, and contemporary styles predominate. Neighborhood established by a New York real estate developer and featured innovative land use controls and infrastructure development unusual for the period. Private. N.R. 1988.
Safety Harbor INGLESIDE 333 S. Bayshore Blvd. 1889. Frame Vernacular with Classical Revival elements. 2 stories. One of the few buildings remaining from the town's earliest period. Still used as a residence. Originally the home of William Leech, a wealthy grove owner who came from Virginia. Private. N.R. 1992.
SNELL ARCADE SNELL ARCADE 405 Central Ave. 1928. Mediterranean Revival. Richard Kiehnel and M. Leo Elliott, architects. 9 stories, masonry, full use of the site to 4th floor, a tower rises from the 4th to the 9th floor, copper canopy shades 1st floor. Structure notable for its lavish use of ornamental terra-cotta on the facade and interior wall ornamentation. Private. N.R. 1982.
St. Petersburg ALEXANDER HOTEL 535 Central Ave. 1919. Classical Revival. A. Neel Reid, architect. 4 stories, buff-colored brick, 3-tier veranda on each of 2 main wings, intricate bas-relief detail on verandas, wrought-iron rails. One of the first modern hotels in St. Petersburg. Built by Peter A. Demens, Russian immigrant who became a Florida lumberman and then a developer. Now used for offices. Private. N.R. 1984.
St. Petersburg CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL 2501 5th Ave. N. 1926+. Mediterranean Revival. William B. Ittner, architect. 2 stories, brick, arcade along the 1st floor of the main facade, red clay tile roof. Architecturally considered the most significant educational building in the city. Until 1953 the only public high school in St. Petersburg. Public. N.R. 1984.
St. Petersburg U.S. POST OFFICE 76 4th St. N. 1916. Classical Revival with Spanish Colonial elements. George W. Stewart, architect. 2 stories, granite, terra-cotta and marble trim, full-width front and side loggia. An original building designed for the local environment. Open on 3 sides with no stairs to permit patrons to enter with ease at any hour. Public. N.R. 1975.
St. Petersburg VINOY PARK HOTEL 501 Beach Dr. NE. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Henry L. Taylor, architect. 7-story central block with 3 5-story wings and 2 2-story wings. Interior public areas with much ceiling and wall ornamentation. One of the earliest and largest of St. Petersburg's resort hotels built during the Florida land boom. Designed to appeal to a wealthy clientele. Private. N.R. 1978.
St. Petersburg WEEDEN ISLAND SITE Weedon Island Rd. A.D. 500-A.D. 1000. Weeden Island period. A village complex of refuge piles, domiciliary mounds, and a sand burial mound. The artifact assemblage in the burial mound forms the basis for defining the Weeden Island cultural phase. Private. N.R. 1972.
St. Petersburg Beach DON CE SAR HOTEL 3400 Gulf Blvd. 1928. Mediterranean Revival elements. Henry DuPont, architect. 5 to 10 stories, pink concrete, stuccoed, 4 corner towers, each with belfry arches. Popular 325-room luxury resort hotel built at height of state's land boom. Attracted many famous guests, including F. Scott Fitzgerald, Clarence Darrow, Babe Ruth, and Lou Gehrig. Private. N.R. 1975.
Tarpon Springs TARPON SPRINGS HISTORIC DISTRICT 1881-1935. 218 buildings, 145 of historical interest. Frame and Masonry Vernacular with a few Classical Revival. Includes residences and commercial buildings. Reflects the atmosphere of early Tarpon Springs. Arcade Hotel is a notable building of period. St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral built in 1943. Public and Private. N.R. 1990.
Clearwater CLEVELAND STREET POST OFFICE 650 Cleveland St. 1932. Mediterranean Revival. Theodore H. Skinner, architect. 2 stories, masonry, main facade faced with Florida limestone, barrel-tile roof. A good example of the use of regional architectural style for a small government facility. Public. N.R. 1980.
Clearwater LOUIS DUCROS HOUSE. 1324 S. Fort Harrison Ave. 1897. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories, frame, gabled roof, veranda with turned posts. Louis Ducros, French immigrant, was an early settler of Clearwater who operated a photo studio. Home initially was a workers' cottage during the construction of the nearby Belleview-Biltmore Hotel. Private. N.R. 1979.
Clearwater OLD PINELLAS COUNTY COURTHOUSE. 315 Court St. 1917, 1924, 1926. Classical Revival. Francis J. Kennard, architect. 2 stories. 2 wings added in 1924 and 1926. Interior restoration in 1984-85. The first permanent building erected as the seat of county government in Pinellas County. Still in use. Public. N.R. 1992.
Dunedin J.O. DOUGLAS HOUSE 209 Scotland St. 1880 +. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories, 1-story hipped-roof porch with jigsaw tracery, and sawn balustrade at main entrance. The oldest house in Dunedin; home of an early city merchant who emigrated from Scotland. Little alteration has been made to the house. Private. N.R. 1979.
St. Petersburg BOONE HOUSE 601 5th Ave. N. 1910-1920. Colonial Revival. 2 stories, masonry, stuccoed, pedimented portico, 4 Ionic columns support the pedimented roof. Built by Benjamin T. Boone, North Carolinian, who became a leading early St. Petersburg developer. One of the city's oldest masonry residences. Restored as private offices in 1985. Private . N.R . 1986.
St. Petersburg CASA COE DA SOL 510 Park St. 1931. Mediterranean Revival. Addison Mizner, architect. 2 stories, stuccoed, wide variety of window designs, interior is lavishly decorated with wrought-iron railings, cast-stone columns. Each room is unique. The last building designed by Mizner and the only one on Florida's Gulf coast. Mizner Industries products can be seen throughout the house. Private. N.R. 1980.
St. Petersburg CASA DE MUCHAS FLORES 1446 Park St. N. 1926+. Mediterranean Revival. Henry H. DuPont, architect. 2 to 3 stories, masonry, stuccoed, barrel-tile roof. Interior is highlighted by wrought iron and decorative tiles, marble floors, and beam ceiling. Built for Thomas W. Miller, Ohio rubber tire manufacturer, who was not socially acceptable to Palm Beach society and consequently built on the Gulf coast. Private. N.R. 1985.
St. Petersburg DENNIS HOTEL 326 1st Ave. N. 1925. Eclectic with Classical and Mediterranean elements. Henry Cunningham, architect. 8 stories, masonry, main facade clad in cast stone, brick facing, decorative tile and granite, Corinthian columns at entrance. One of 10 large hotels built during the land boom period by Nick Dennis. It attracted many national celebrities. Private. N.R. 1986.
St. Petersburg FIRST METHODIST CHURCH OF ST. PETERSBURG 212 3rd St. 1924-1926. Gothic Revival. James J. Baldwin, architect. 4 stories. 144-foot belltower. In 1950-51 a Gothic Revival chapel built on west side and physically linked to main structure. Considered one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in St. Petersburg. Private. N.R. 1990.
St. Petersburg ST. PETERSBURG LAWN BOWLING CLUB 500 4th Ave. N. 1926. Masonry Vernacular clubhouse. Clubhouse complex and 2 bowling courts, one with 19 rinks, the other with 6 rinks. Oldest formally organized lawn bowling club in Florida and tenth in the nation. Begun by Al Mercer, from Toronto, Canada. Public. N.R. 1980.
St. Petersburg ST. PETERSBURG PUBLIC LIBRARY 300 5th St. N. 1915. Beaux Arts. W.C. Henry and Henry Whitefield, architects. 1 story, masonry, stuccoed, cast-concrete ornamentation, roof has continuous parapet. First permanent home of the St. Petersburg public library. Built with a donation from the Carnegie Foundation. Public. N.R. 1986.
St. Petersburg ST. PETERSBURG WOMAN'S CLUB 40 Snell Isle Blvd. 1929. Mediterranean Revival. Frank F. Jonsberg and Ray W. Wakeling, architects. 2 stories. Building is flanked by 2 wings. Barrel-tile roof. Has played a major cultural and civic role in St. Petersburg since 1929. Continues in its original function. Private. N.R. 1994.
St. Petersburg STUDEBAKER BUILDING 600 4th St. S. 1925. Tudor Revival elements. 2 stories, red brick, flat roof. 1st and 2nd floors visually separated by a band of concrete that has been stuccoed. Unusual example of the application of Tudor Revival elements to a commercial structure, an auto showroom. The stucco panels support Studebaker Automobile Co. logo. Private. N.R. 1985.
St. Petersburg VEILLARD HOUSE 262 4th Ave. N. 1901 (moved in 1979). Queen Anne and Chalet elements. Theodore Anderson and Henry DuPont, architects. 2 stories, rusticated block, large open front porch, mock half-timbering. Home of Ralph Veillard, prominent city merchant and civic leader. Private. N.R. 1982.
Tarpon Springs ARCADE HOTEL 210 Pinellas Ave. 1926. Spanish Mission. Wolpert and Brown, architects. 2 stories, masonry, stuccoed, arcaded loggia on main facade with a gallery above, tile roof. The major example of Mediterranean Revival commercial architecture in Tarpon Springs to survive from the 1920s. The city's major hotel before World War II. Commercial arcade restored in 1985. Private. N.R. 1984.
Tarpon Springs OLD TARPON SPRINGS HIGH SCHOOL 324 E. Pine St. 1925. Mediterranean Revival elements. Emmitt Hull, architect. 2 stories. Beaux-Arts-style central entrance. The school is a reflection of the importance placed by a prosperous, optimistic community on education. Presently the Tarpon Springs City Hall. Public. N.R. 1990.
Tarpon Springs SAFFORD HOUSE Parkin Ct. 1883 (moved). Frame Vernacular with Victorian details. 2 and a half stories, frame, wide veranda on 2 facades. The original owner, Anson P.K. Safford, is credited with founding the Arizona school system. Safford and Hamilton Disston of the famous Disston land development project selected Tarpon Springs as the site of a winter resort for wealthy Northerners. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tarpon Springs SPONGE DIVING BOATS Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks, Dodecanese Blvd. 1927-1941. The 5 remaining sailing ships of a large fleet built locally between 1907 and 1940 to gather sponges in the Gulf. Some used today to demonstrate traditional sponge gathering techniques. St. Nicholas III (1939), St. Nicholas VI (1927), Duchess (1940), N.K. Symi (1935), George N. Cretekos (1941). Private. N.R. 1990.
Vicinity of Safety Harbor SAFETY HARBOR SITE Philippe Park, 2355 Bayshore Dr. A.D. 1500-A.D. 1700. Safety Harbor period. Site consists of a large flat-topped shell mound about 150 feet in diameter and 20 feet high. A late prehistoric site occupied into the early Spanish period. Type site for the Safety Harbor phase. It is generally believed that the village was visited by Pedro MenŽndez de AvilŽs in 1567. Public-Private. N.R. 1966.
Vicinity of St. Petersburg FORT DE SOTO BATTERIES Mullet Key. 1898-1945. 2 gun batteries on the west shore of Mullet Key. The major feature is the massive earth-covered concrete structure of Battery Laidley. Excellent example of military coastal defense construction. Some original armament still in place. Public. N.R. 1977.