Florida's History Through Its Places
Crescent City HUBBARD HOUSE (San Sui) 600 N. Park St. c. 1879. Frame Vernacular with Queen Anne and Shingle-style elements. 2 and a half stories, frame, clapboarding, shingle siding, front and side porches. Built by Henry G. Hubbard, who introduced the camphor tree and Japanese persimmon to Florida. Elaborate botanical garden used for plant acclimatization once surrounded the house. Private. N.R. 1973.
Melrose MELROSE WOMAN'S CLUB (Literary and Debating Society) Pine St. 1893. Frame Vernacular. E.L. Judd, architect. 1 story, front porch. The Woman's Club supported many civic and social functions in the community, including the library. Most of the early members were from New England, a fact reflected in the style of the building. Private. N.R. 1978.
Palatka PALATKA NORTH HISTORIC DISTRICT 1840-1931. 71 buildings of historical interest in 11 blocks. Predominant styles: Classical Revival, Victorian, and Frame Vernacular. Notable structure: the Bronson-Mulholland House, Greek Revival (1845). The earliest settled portion of the city, where a number of important citizens built their homes. N.R. 1983.
Palatka PALATKA SOUTH HISTORIC DISTRICT 1852-1930. 210 buildings, of which 169 are of historical interest, within 23 blocks. Predominant styles are Frame Vernacular, Colonial Revival, Bungalow, and Victorian. Notable building: the Conant House, 603 Emmett St. (1886), richly decorated Queen Anne style. Most fashionable 19th-century residential area in Palatka. It contains several antebellum homes. N.R. 1983.
Palatka UNION DEPOT Main St. and 12th St. 1908. Richardson Romanesque. 1 story. Typical Richardson pattern of random window openings and many hexagonal dormered bays. Built by the Atlantic Coast Line. Since 1970 the depot has been handling freight of the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. Private. N.R. 1988.