Florida's History Through Its Places
CAP'S PLACE (Club Unique). 2980 NE 31st Ave. 1928. Frame Vernacular. 1 story. A group of 5 buildings of which 4 are of historical interest. An early Broward County restaurant. The first restaurant building was constructed on a beached dredging barge in 1928. Other extant structures include the bar, fish house, dock and walkways. Private. N.R. 1990.
DEERFIELD SCHOOL. 651 NE 1st St. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. Thomas McLaughlin, architect. 2 stories. Barrel-tile roof and arcaded walkways. Oldest operative school in Deerfield Beach and second oldest in the county. Public. N.R. 1990.
OAKLAND PARK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 936 NE 33rd St. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Thomas D. McLaughlin, architect. 2-story auditorium, 1-story main classroom building. Distinguished by arcaded walkways and open courtyard. Oldest school in Broward County still in use as a school. Public. N.R. 1988.
OLD DILLARD HIGH SCHOOL OR COLORED SCHOOL 1001 NW 4th St. 1924. Masonry Vernacular with Mission-style elements. John M. Peterman, architect. 2 stories. First black high school in Broward County. Important center of Afro-American life in Ft. Lauderdale and Broward County. Represents the struggle in area for equal education. Public. N.R. 1991.
OLD SEABOARD AIR LINE RAILROAD STATION 1300 W. Hillsboro Blvd. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Gustave Maass, architect. 1 story. Representative of an architectural style closely associated with South Florida. Significant because of the role it played in the early economic development of the town. Public. N.R. 1990.
Fort Lauderdale STRANAHAN HOUSE (The Pioneer House). 335 SE 6th Ave. (on New River). 1902. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories, steep hipped roof, prominent 2-story porch. Site of trading post and travelers' lodging built by Frank Stranahan, Fort Lauderdale's first white permanent settler. Present home built on site for wife. Now a house museum. Private. N.R. 1973.
Plantation LOCK NO. 1, NORTH NEW RIVER CANAL 6521 W. Fl. 84. 1911-1912. Single lock, 149 feet long, entry controlled by wooden gates. Ocean entrance lock of the North New River Canal that connects the Atlantic with Lake Okeechobee. First to be built on the canal. Remains the best preserved of all the surviving South Florida locks. Public. N.R. 1978.
Davie DAVIE SCHOOL 6650 Griffin Rd. 1918. Masonry Vernacular. August Geiger, architect. 2 stories. Geiger was one of South Florida's best-known early architects. One of the least altered elementary school buildings in South Florida and the oldest school in continuous use in the district. Public. N.R. 1988.
Fort Lauderdale BONNET HOUSE 900 Birch Rd. 1920. Eclectic. Frederick Clay Bartlett, architect. 2 stories, cinder block, wide 2nd-story gallery. House designed by owner, an artist, in a highly unusual manner. One of a rapidly dwindling number of ocean-front estates in South Florida. Set in extensive grounds. Private. N.R. 1984.
Hollywood JOSEPH WESLEY YOUNG HOUSE 1055 Hollywood Blvd. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Preston C. Rubich and Edgar Otis Hunter architects. 2 and a half stories. Fenestration includes French doors and various kinds of casement windows. Bell tower. Residence of Joseph Young, the founder and designer of Hollywood. Private. N.R. 1989.
SAMPLE ESTATE (McDougald House). 3161 N. Dixie Highway. 1916. Colonial Revival. 2 stories, frame of local pine and cypress, colonnaded porch in Tuscan style. Built by Albert Neal Sample (1868-1941), early Broward County resident. In 1943 acquired by the McDougald family. Private. N.R. 1984.