Florida's History Through Its Places
Naples NAPLES HISTORIC DISTRICT 1887-1937. 102 buildings, 78 of historical interest. Vernacular Victorian cottages and simple board-and-batten bungalows. Naples was first developed in 1887 by a group of Kentucky investors. Many homes were built by Midwest families for winter occupancy. Local materials commonly used in construction, including oyster tabby and oolitic limestone. Private. N.R. 1987.
Big Cypress National Preserve THE PLAZA SITE Near Ochopee. 500 b.c.-a.d. 1700. Glades period. 4 distinct black-earth midden mounds. Major prehistoric village site. Cultural deposits at the site contained well-preserved materials reflecting subsistence and settlement patterns of early occupants. Public. N.R. 1986.
Key Island KEEWAYDIN CLUB 1935-. A complex of 20 buildings and 8 supporting structures. The major structure is the lodge, a 1-story irregular shaped building built of local yellow pine. Cottages nearby are 1-story Vernacular. One of a series of camps associated with the Keewaydin Movement, which began in 1849 to promote education through contact with the physical environment. Presently a retreat. Private. N.R. 1987.
Naples PALM COTTAGE 137 12th Ave. S. 1890+. Masonry Vernacular. 1 and a half stories, tabby exterior walls, stuccoed, 1-story screen porch on front. Built as winter home of Henry Watterson, editor of the Louisville Courier-Journal. One of the few remaining tabby-built buildings in Florida. Tabby is a primitive form of concrete made from local materials. Private. N.R. 1982.
Naples SEABOARD COAST LINE RAILROAD DEPOT 1051 5th Ave. S. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. L. Philips Clarke, architect. 1 story, concrete, stuccoed. Open arcade on 3 sides with 5 semicircular arches and 4 Corinthian columns. One of the oldest structures in Naples. Typical example of early railroad terminal buildings constructed in the state in 1920s. Now used as community art center and railroad museum. Private. N.R. 1974.