Florida's History Through Its Places
Coconut Grove EL JARDIN 3747 Main Highway. 1918. Mediterranean Revival. Richard Kiehnel, architect. 2 stories, rectangular with stucco-finished walls and tile roof. Outstanding example of the Mediterranean Revival style. Richly detailed entrances of Spanish Churrigueresque origin. Built for John Bindley, an executive of Pittsburgh Steel Co. Today a private girls' school. Private. N.R. 1974.
Coconut Grove PLYMOUTH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH 3429 Devon Rd. 1917. Mission style. Clinton MacKenzie, architect. 1 story, stone, gabled tile roof, 2 bell towers; main entry has 300-year-old carved door with original hardware. The church, organized in 1897, played a major role in the early settlement of the town. Private. N.R. 1974.
Coconut Grove RANSOM SCHOOL (Pagoda). 3575 Main Highway. 1895-1902. Frame Vernacular with Chinese influence. 2 stories, board-and-batten siding. The core building of the nation's first 2-campus migratory boarding school, the other half being in New York State. Structure is of architectural significance. Private. N.R. 1973.
Coral Gables CORAL GABLES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 105 Minorca Ave. 1923-1926. Mediterranean Revival. Richard Kiehnel, architect. 2 stories. A complex of 5 2-story buildings begun in 1923 and completed in 1926. Concrete block with smooth stucco finish. Encloses 2 courtyards connected by shed-roof loggias. School is still in use. Public. N.R. 1988.
Coral Gables MacFARLANE HOMESTEAD HISTORIC DISTRICT 1930-1940. 38 buildings, 32 of historical interest. Masonry Vernacular. Small black neighborhood established shortly after the town was developed. Dominant structure in the district is St. Mary's First Missionary Baptist Church, built in 1926. Private. N.R. 1994.
Homestead NEVA KING COOPER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Homestead Public School). 520 NW 1st Ave. 1913+. Mediterranean Revival. August Geiger, architect. 1 story, stucco exterior walls, red tile roof, colonnaded garden courtyard. One of the first multiroom schools in the county and one of South Florida's earliest examples of the popular Mediterranean Revival style. Public. N.R. 1985.
Miami ALFRED I. DUPONT BUILDING 169 E. Flagler St. 1937. Moderne, with Art Deco elements. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 17 stories. Steel frame skeleton and exterior walls clad in stone. Black granite wrapping around 1st floor. Very ornate lobby. The first Miami skyscraper since the Dade County Courthouse was built. First major downtown project following the collapse of the 1920s land boom. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami BAY SHORE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1922-1941. 235 buildings, all of historical interest. Mediterranean and Mission Revivals, Art Deco, and Vernacular styles. Encompasses approximately 100 acres. District is noted for its wide, tree-lined boulevards and its plentiful, flowering trees. Private. N.R. 1944.
Miami CENTRAL BAPTIST CHURCH 500 NE 1st Ave. 1926. Neo-Classical with elements of Renaissance Revival. Dougherty and Gardner, architects. 4 stories. Building is capped by a polygonal rotunda extending above the 4-story height. 2 projected porticos. Seating capacity of 2,500. One of the last 3 active churches to hold regular services within downtown Miami. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami CITY OF MIAMI CEMETERY 1800 NE 2nd Ave. 1897-1920. 10-acre site sold to city in 1897 by Brickell family for a public cemetery. Enclosed by a masonry wall with iron gate entrance. Julia Tuttle ,'mother of Miami," buried here. Jewish section. Small Mediterranean building in cemetery used as office. Public. N.R. 1989.
Miami DADE COUNTY COURTHOUSE 73 W. Flagler St. 1925-28. Neo-Classical style. A. Ten Eyck Brown and August Geiger, architects. 28 stories. A broad base and central tower. The base of the building is faced with Stone Mountain granite, while the other floors are sheathed in terra-cotta tinted to match the granite slabs. Originally served the county and city governments, including the jail. Now entirely occupied by the judiciary. Public. N.R. 1989.
Miami FIRE STATION NO. 4 1000 S. Miami Ave. 1922. Mediterranean Revival. H. Hasting Mundy, architect. 2 stories, stucco exterior, hipped tile roof, arcaded porch, balconies, and decorative detail. The oldest and most outstanding fire station within the city. No longer used for this function. Public. N.R. 1984.
Miami J. W. WARNER HOUSE 111 SW 5th Ave. 1912. Classical Revival. George L. Pfeiffer, architect. 2 and a half stories, poured concrete, stuccoed, 2-story portico, massive Ionic columns. Interior is distinguished by detailed woodwork and central staircase. Home of the Warner family, which operated a floral business for 66 years. Now private offices. Private. N.R. 1983.
Miami MIAMI WOMANS CLUB 1737 N. Bayshore Dr. 1926. Renaissance Revival with Spanish Colonial elements. August Geiger, architect. 4 and a half stories, U-shaped, flat tile roof. Built to accommodate the Miami Woman's Club, organized in 1900 and chartered in 1911. Club has been active in numerous civic projects, including the public library. Private. N.R. 1974.
Miami OLYMPIA THEATER AND OFFICE BUILDING (Gusman Cultural Center). 174 E. Flagler St. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. John Eberson, architect. 10 stories, faced in brick with terra-cotta and wrought iron detail. The theater is an outstanding example of the "atmospheric" style, with the design suggesting an amphitheater set in a courtyard of a Spanish villa. Public. N.R. 1984.
Miami PRISCILLA APARTMENTS 318-320 NE 19th St. store on 1845 Biscayne Blvd. 1925, 1927. Mediterranean Revival. R.A. Preas, architect. 3 stories. A rectangular building with an L-shaped addition (1927). Square 4-story tower on NW corner, smaller tower on SW corner. Part of an effort by an early developer to establish a new shopping area on Biscayne Blvd. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami SOUTH RIVER DRIVE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1908-1914. 6 buildings and 3 outbuildings of historical significance. Predominant architectural style is Frame Vernacular. All buildings of historical importance have projected porches. The buildings within this district are fine representations of early 20th-century Frame Vernacular architecture in Miami. One of the earliest areas of Miami to be settled, it contained a number of boarding houses. Private. N.R. 1987.
Miami WALGREEN DRUGSTORE 200 E. Flagler St. 1936. Streamline Moderne style. Zimmerman, Saxe, MacBridge, and Ehmann, architects. 5 stories. One of the most unique commercial buildings in downtown Miami, and one of the best examples of its architectural style in South Florida. Ribbon windows and a curved corner entrance are important identifying features. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami Beach MIAMI BEACH ARCHITECTURAL DISTRICT 1920-1940. More than 650 architecturally significant buildings in a 125-block area. Predominant styles are Mediterranean Revival and Moderne. Notable buildings are the Cardozo Hotel, Tides Hotel, Victor Hotel, Old City Hall, Bass Museum, Delano Hotel, and Amsterdam Palace. The district contains the largest collection of Art Moderne buildings in the nation. Architectural styles greatly influenced by those of Chicago's Century of Progress (1933) and the New York World's Fair (1939). N.R. 1979.
Miami Shores GRAND CONCOURSE APARTMENTS 421 Grand Concourse. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Robert Law Weed, architect. 4-story central tower, 2-story wings, masonry, stuccoed, 3-bay entrance loggia, 7-bay loggias on wings. The only large, multiunit building constructed from an original plan that would have included a series of grand hotels and apartments. Private. N.R. 1985.
North Miami ARCH CREEK HISTORIC AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE 1855 NE 135th St. and Biscayne Blvd. Prehistoric through 19th century. A tropical hardwood hammock near Arch Creek on which there is an Indian midden as well as the sluice of a destroyed 19th-century coontie mill. Coontie is an edible native plant used by Indians and early settlers as a source of starch. Public. N.R. 1986.
Coconut Grove PAN AMERICAN SEAPLANE BASE AND TERMINAL BUILDING 3500 Pan American Dr. 1930-1938. Moderne. Fred J. Gelhaus and B.W. Reeser, architects. 2 stories, rectangular with 2 groups of steel-frame hangars. U.S. terminus for Pan American Airline Clipper Service to South America. Use declined in 1940s when air fields were built in South America. Today Miami's City Hall. Public. N.R. 1975.
Coconut Grove THE RALPH M. MUNROE HOUSE (The Barnacle) 3485 Main Highway. 1891. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories, original 1-story frame structure with central octagonal room, raised above concrete-block ground floor about 1908. Example of regional building adapted to climatic conditions of South Florida. Considered one of the finest examples of Frame Vernacular architecture in area. Under restoration for a museum. Public. N.R. 1973.
Coconut Grove WOMAN'S CLUB OF COCONUT GROVE 2985 S. Bayshore Dr. 1921. Mission style with Spanish Colonial elements. Walter C. de Garmo, architect. 1 and a half stories, coral-rock block walls. Interior auditorium with truss ceiling. Built to accommodate one of the earliest woman's clubs in South Florida. An excellent example of the use of local materials. Private. N.R. 1975.
Coral Gables CORAL GABLES CITY HALL 405 Biltmore Way. 1927-28. Mediterranean Revival. Phineas Paist and Denman Fink, architects. 3 stories, local limestone, stuccoed exterior, tile roof, central 3-stage clock tower, Corinthian colonnade. A major element in the plan of George E. Merrick, founder of Coral Gables, to create a Spanish-Mediterranean city. Public. N.R. 1974.
Coral Gables CORAL GABLES CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH 3010 De Soto Blvd. 1924. Mediterranean Revival. Kiehnel and Elliott, architects. Rectangular masonry with stucco finish and tile roof. The Baroque belfry is its most prominent feature; sculptural program over main entrance. One of the earliest religious structures in city. Designed as a replica of a church in Costa Rica. Private. N.R. 1978.
Coral Gables CORAL GABLES POLICE AND FIRE STATION 2325 Salzedo St. 1939. Mediterranean Revival. Phineas Paist, architect. 2 stories, limestone exterior obtained from Florida Keys. Depression Moderne sculpture on the facade. Built by the Works Progress Administration to replace an earlier police and fire station. Presently houses city offices. Public. N.R. 1984.
Coral Gables CORAL GABLES WOMAN'S CLUB 1001 E. Ponce de Leon Blvd. 1936. Moderne. William Merriam and George Fink, architects. 1 story. Built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the Depression. Constructed with local oolitic limestone. Terra-cotta panels. Rare example of Depression Moderne style. Woman's club was responsible for the city's first library. Private. N.R. 1990.
Coral Gables DOUGLAS ENTRANCE (La Puerta del Sol). 800 Douglas Rd. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Walter de Garmo, Denman Fink, and Phineas E. Paist, architects. 3 stories, stone, stuccoed, tile hipped roof, 90-foot belfry tower, 40-foot curved arch across road. Built at a cost of a million dollars as the main entrance to the city from Miami. Included a commercial and residential complex. Presently architects' offices. Private. N.R. 1972.
Coral Gables VENETIAN POOL 2701 De Soto Blvd. 1924. Mediterranean Revival. Phineas E. Paist, architect. Swimming pool designed to resemble a natural lagoon in a Venetian setting. Part of the George Merrick plan to create a Spanish-Mediterranean-style city. Pool originally was a rock quarry. Public. N.R. 1981.
Cutler CHARLES DEERING ESTATE SW 167th St. and Old Cutler Rd. 1896, 1922. Frame Vernacular (1896), Mediterranean Revival (1922). This 368-acre site contains two significant architectural structures, one of the earliest remaining Vernacular buildings in the county and a large Mediterranean Revival house. Evidence of Pre-Columbian human occupation on site. Estate was owned by the Deering Family, which made its fortune in farm machinery. Public. N.R. 1986.
Goulds SILVER PALM SCHOOL 15655 SW 232nd St. 1904. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories, hip roof, and 2-story porch on south elevation. The first of several rural schools built during the early 1900s in south Dade County. School contributed significantly to the community's educational and cultural growth. One of the two surviving rural school houses in south Dade County. Now a private residence. Private. N.R. 1987.
Hialeah HIALEAH RACE TRACK E. 4th Ave. between E. 22nd St. and E. 31 St. 1925. Masonry Vernacular with Classical elements. First named the Miami Jockey Club, it became one of the most famous race tracks in the nation. Originally contained a Greyhound track and amusement park. Great efforts have been made to enhance its beauty, including extensive plantings and a famous flock of pink flamingoes. Private. N.R. 1979.
Miami ALGONQUIN APARTMENTS 1819-1825 Biscayne Blvd. 1924, addition in 1927. Mediterranean Revival. 3 stories. Stucco-sheathed building is divided into three bays. The apartments were built during a period when Biscayne Boulevard was being developed as a "modern" shopping street to compete with the older downtown. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami ATLANTIC GAS STATION 668 NW 5th Ave. 1937. Mediterranean Revival. E. A. Ehmann, architect. 1 story. An excellent example of Mediterranean Revival applied to a utilitarian structure. The building's design was commissioned by Atlantic Petroleum Company before gas station design was standardized. Private. N.R. 1988.
Miami CAPE FLORIDA LIGHTHOUSE Key Biscayne. 1825+ . Conical. Brick, originally 65 feet high, but in 1855 raised to 95 feet. One of a series of lighthouses built after Florida was incorporated into the U.S. The light indicated a dangerous reef. Lighthouse attacked and destroyed by Indians in 1836. Rebuilt in 1846. Became inactive in 1878. Believed to be the oldest structure in the county. Museum. Public. N.R. 1970.
Miami CONGRESS BUILDING 111 NE 2nd Ave. 1923, 1925. Commercial style with Classical elements. Martin L. Hampton, architect. 21 stories, beige, glazed terra-cotta exterior, 2nd floor has 5 arched bays. An excellent example of 'boom time" architectural style. The building is also noteworthy because it was originally 5 stories, but designed to support additional floors which were built later (1925). Private. N.R. 1985.
Miami ENTRANCE TO CENTRAL MIAMI Red Rd. at SW 34th St. and SW 35th St. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. 8 towers and a park at the western entrance to Coral Gables. Coral Gables Waterway passes through park. A pair of 13-foot square towers form the entrance. Smaller towers flank SW 34th and 35th streets. Public. N.R. 1989.
Miami FLORIDA EAST COAST RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVE NO. 153 12450 SW 152nd St. 1922. Pacific-type, 4-6-2, oil-burning locomotive. Originally constructed for the Flagler System's East Coast Railway, it was used for passengers and freight until 1937 when it was sold to the United States Sugar Corporation to haul cane from the fields to its Clewiston mill. Located now at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum. Private. N.R. 1985.
Miami FREEDOM TOWER 600 Biscayne Blvd. 1925. Spanish Renaissance Revival. Schutze and Weaver, architects. 14-story building surmounted by an octagonal tower with Spanish Plateresque detail. Formerly the home of the Miami News, the city's oldest newspaper. From 1962 until 1974 a reception center for Cuban refugees. Design was inspired by the Giralda Tower in Seville, Spain. Private. N.R. 1979.
Miami GREATER BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH 245 NW 8th St. 1927, completed in 1942. Mediterranean Revival. John Sculthorpe, architect. 2 stories. Square towers flanked by a shed roof. Home of Miami's oldest black congregation, organized in 1896. Building that proceeded the "Greater" church was named 'Little Bethel." The pay-as-you-go policy accounts for long construction period. Private. N.R. 1992.
Miami HALISSEE HALL 1700 NW 10th Ave. 1912. Masonry Vernacular with Classical Revival details. 2 and a half stories, walls of local limestone. 2-story portico with 6 fluted columns. Home of John Sewell, Miami pioneer merchant. Excellent example of the application of Classical Revival style to the South Florida environment. Presently part of University of Miami's medical center. Private. N.R. 1974.
Miami HUNTINGTON BUILDING (Consolidated Bank Building) 168 SE 1st St. 1925. Commercial style. Louis Kamper, George L. Pfeiffer, and Gerald J. O'Reilly, architects. 13 stories. Exterior is clad in stucco. A wide belt course separates the first and second stories. Articulated roof line contains 11 knight figures sitting atop an extension of the vertical piers. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami I. AND E. GREENWALD STEAM ENGINE NO. 1058 1906. 3898 Shipping Ave. Built in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1906, the engine has an unusual power transmission system utilizing a rope drive. It is believed to be the only surviving engine of its type. Engine was relocated in 1984 from Beaumont, Texas, where for many years it was used in rice irrigation. Reconditioned. Private. N.R. 1987.
Miami INGRAHAM BUILDING 25 SE 2nd Ave. 1926. Renaissance Revival. Schultze and Weaver, architects. 12 stories. Clad in Indiana limestone. Roof is hipped and sheathed in Spanish tiles. Interior of the building is very ornate. The same architectural firm designed New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami J & S BUILDING (Cola-Nip Building) 221-233 NW 9th St. 1925. Masonry Vernacular. 2 stories. Concrete block. First floor has a number of store fronts, most now boarded-up. Closely associated with the early commercial life of the Overtown community, one of the city's oldest black neighborhoods. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami KENTUCKY HOME (Anderson Hotel). 1221 and 1227 NE 1st Ave. 1918, 1924. Masonry Vernacular. 3 stories. 2 buildings linked by an arch at entrance to courtyard. Design adopted to local environment through 3-story open porches. An excellent example of a downtown rooming house, a dwelling common in the early history of Miami. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami LYRIC THEATER 819 NW 2nd Ave. c. 1914. Masonry Vernacular. 2 stories. Concrete block sheathed in stucco. Arched parapet and elaborate bays. Was important as the center of Overtown's early social life. Overtown was one of the city's earliest black neighborhoods. Owned and operated by blacks, and primarily featured black entertainers. Popular among white Miamians as well. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami MIAMI EDISON SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL 6101 NW 2nd Ave . 1928-1931. Masonry Vernacular with Art Deco auditorium. Mundy, Pfieffer and Robertson, architects. 3 stories, masonry, stuccoed. The main classroom building is Vernacular, while the auditorium is Art Deco with extensive interior detail. Public. N.R. 1986.
Miami MIAMI SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL 2450 SW 1st St. 1927. Spanish Colonial Revival. Kiehnel and Elliott, architects. 4 stories. Rectangular in shape, it encloses 4 interior courtyards. Frontage of over 600 feet along SW 1st. Occupies 19 acres. Entrance is deep set with compound recessed arches of distinct French Romanesque inspiration. First senior high school constructed in Dade County. Public. N.R. 1990.
Miami MOUNT ZION BAPTIST CHURCH 301 NW 9th St. 1928. Mediterranean Revival. William Arthur Bennett, architect. 2 stories. One of the few examples of Mediterranean Revival style found in the black community of Overtown. The place of worship of one of Miami's oldest black congregations. Private. N.R. 1988.
Miami OLD U.S. POST OFFICE AND COURTHOUSE (Ameri First Federal). 100-118 NE 1st Ave. 1912-14. Neo-Classical. Oscar Wenderoth, Kiehnel and Elliott, architects. 3 stories. Exterior clad in Bedford limestone from Indiana. The east side parallel to NE 1st Ave. is characterized by a facade 9 bays in length and 3 stories high. Converted to bank in 1937. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami PALM COTTAGE 60 SE 4th St. c. 1897. Frame Vernacular. Joseph A. McDonald, architect. 2 and a half stories. Moved from its original site in 1980. Believed to be the last known structure in Miami directly associated with Henry Flagler and the early years of the city's development. Oldest known residence in downtown Miami. Presently unoccupied. Public. N.R. 1989.
Miami S & S SANDWICH SHOP 1757 NE 2nd Ave. 1938. Art Deco. 1 story. Sheathed in structural glass in contrasting colors. Its west front is only 12 feet high. Interior retains much of its original elements. Only remaining example of a very popular restaurant style from the early 1930s. Still in use. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami SECURITY BUILDING (Capital Building). 117 NE 1st Ave. 1926. Commercial. Robert Greenfield, architect. 16 stories. Its embellishments are in the Second Empire architectural mode. Steel frame, granite facing. Construction began in the last year of Miami's land boom. When finished it was the most imposing building in the city's center. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami SHORELAND ARCADE (Dade Federal Savings). 120 NE 1st Ave. 1925. Pfeiffer and O'Reilly, architects. 2 stories. Eight bays, each consisting of a large arched opening flanked by stylized pilasters embellished with masonry medallions sporting symbols of Florida history. The last remaining intact arcade in downtown Miami. Private. N.R. 1989.
Miami SOUTHSIDE SCHOOL 45 SW 13th St. 1914, additions in 1922, 1925. Mission Revival elements. August Geiger, architect. 2 stories. Sole surviving example of a popular Miami school design. Excellent adaptation of the design to the local climate. One of the oldest public school buildings in Miami. Today serves almost 500 students K-6. Public. N.R. 1989.
Miami ST. JOHN'S BAPTIST CHURCH 1328 NW 3rd Ave. 1940. Gothic style with Art Deco and Moderne detail. McKissack and McKissack, architects. 2 stories. Masonry, clad in buff brick. A black church designed by a black architectural firm. Church is little altered from when it was built. Private. N.R. 1992.
Miami TRINITY EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL 464 NE 16th St. 1923. Romanesque Revival. Harold Hasting Mundy, architect. Main facade has a gabled parapet with cross finial. Corners supported by buttresses. Much use of stained glass. Regarded as one of the great monuments of boom architecture. When built, the area was the center of the Episcopal community. Private. N.R. 1980.
Miami U.S. CAR NO. 1 12450 SW 152nd St. 1928. Built in 1928 by the Pullman Co., Car No. 1 was rebuilt in 1942 for use by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The redesign included making the car impenetrable to attack. The interior was redesigned to serve as a mobile presidential suite and includes office, dining room, and sleeping accommodations. Used by President Ronald Reagan to Campaign in Ohio in 1984. Presently in the Gold Coast Railroad Museum. Private. N.R. 1977.
Miami U.S. POST OFFICE AND COURTHOUSE 300 NE 1st Ave. 1933. Mediterranean Revival. Paist and Steward, architects. 3 stories, East facade has 2-story engaged Corinthian columns. An excellent example of Mediterranean Revival architecture. The largest structure to be built of local limestone in South Florida. N.R. 1983.
Miami VIZCAYA (James Deering Estate) 3251 S. Miami Ave. 1914-1916. Italian Renaissance. F. Burral Hoffman and Paul Chalfin, architects. 3 stories, concrete, stuccoed with coral trim; open loggias and arcades with native coral ornamentation. Extensive formal gardens. Many outbuildings. Interior decorated with numerous elements from European palaces. Formerly the 70-room mansion of industrialist James Deering, who employed over 1000 people in its construction. Replica of an Italian Renaissance palace. Museum. Public. N.R. 1970.
Miami and Miami Beach VENETIAN CAUSEWAY NE 15th St. and Dade Blvd. 1926. Bascule bridge. A series of bridges connecting the Venetian Islands and stretching between Miami and Miami Beach. Total of 12 bridges. Octagonal concrete entrance towers. The oldest causeway in Metropolitan Miami. Public. N.R. 1989.
Miami Beach BETH JACOB SOCIAL HALL AND CONGREGATION 301 and 311 Washington Ave. 1928, 1936. Classical Revival with Moderne influence. Henry Hohauser, architect. 2 stories, stucco. Large central arched entrance. Social Hall (1928), formerly the synagogue, and the present structure (1936) were the first religious structures of the Orthodox Jewish Congregation of Miami Beach. Private. N.R. 1980.
Miami Shores THEMATIC RESOURCE REGION NE 91st St. - NE 102nd St. 1926-. Mediterranean Revival. Kiehnel, Elliott and others, architects. 1 and 2 stories. 24 residences, part of a mid 1920s development by the Shoreland Company. Most homes are excellent examples of Mediterranean Revival style. Some were built to suggest a weathered or aged appearance. Private. N.R. 1928.
Miami Springs COUNTRY CLUB ESTATES THEMATIC RESOURCE AREA Buildings principally on Deer Run and Hunting Lodge Sts. 1924-1927. 10 buildings, 7 of which are on the National Register of Historic Places. Carl Adams House, 31 Hunting Lodge (1985); Clune Building, 45 Curtiss Pkwy (1985); Lua Curtiss House 1, 85 Deer Run (1985); Lua Curtiss House II, 150 Hunting Lodge (1985); Hequembourg House, 851 Hunting Lodge (1985); Millard-McCarty House, 424 Hunting Lodge (1986); Osceola Apartment Hotel, 200 Azure Way (1985). Pueblo Revival. These structures and several others are the only unaltered of an original 135 which were built in the planned community of Miami Springs. Associated with the development project of Glenn H. Curtiss, internationally recognized aviator and inventor, and James Bright. N.R. 1985 and 1986.
North Miami Beach OLD SPANISH MONASTERY (Monastery of St. Bernard of Clarvaux; Cistercian Monastery of Sacramenia, Segovia, Spain). 16711 W. Dixie Highway. a.d. 1141, reconstructed in Florida 1952-1953. Spanish Romanesque and early Spanish Gothic. The cloister, most notably its chapter house, is a representative example of 12th-century Spanish ecclesiastic architecture. Purchased by William Randolph Hearst in 1925 and reconstructed by Allen Carswell, who built the Cloisters in New York . Presently an Episcopal Church. Private . N . R . 1972.
Opa-locka OPA-LOCKA THEMATIC RESOURCE AREA 1925-1928. 16 residences and 4 other buildings on the National Register scattered throughout a wide area of the city. Moorish Revival. Bernhardt Emil Muller was commissioned by the developers of the city to design buildings in Moorish Revival style based on visual impressions from stories taken from 1001 Tales from the Arabian Nights. Outstanding examples of this style are: Opa-locka Company Administration Building, 777 Sharazad Blvd, which got its inspiration from the "Tale of Layn al Asnan," and Opa-locka Railroad Station, 490 Ali Baba Ave., whose design was inspired by the 'Tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves." Also, the Opa-locka City Hall. N.R. 1982-1987.
South Miami HERVEY ALLEN STUDY (The Glades Estate). 8251 52nd Ave. 1934. Masonry Vernacular. 1 story of local limestone. For many years the study of the novelist Hervey Allen, who wrote the novel Anthony Adverse and numerous other works of fiction. Most of his later works written here. Private. N.R. 1974.
Vicinity of Homestead OFFSHORE REEFS ARCHAEOLOGICAL DISTRICT Biscayne National Park. Spanish Colonial period to late 19th century. Offshore reef of hard and soft coral which extends 30.1 miles north and south and 4.6 miles east and 7.7 miles west of the eastern boundary of Biscayne National Monument. Possibly as many as 42 shipwrecks in this district from all periods of American history. Public. N.R. 1984.
Vicinity of Homestead ROCK GATE (Coral Castle) 28655 S. Federal Highway. 1923 (moved to present site in 1937). Unique open-air sculpture garden with pieces made from local limestone. The creation of Edward Leedskalnin, Latvian immigrant. His works represented his interest in science as well as his yearning for a lost love who rejected him while a youth in Latvia. Private. N.R. 1984.