Florida's History Through Its Places
Apalachicola APALACHICOLA HISTORIC DISTRICT 1835-c. 1900. 146 city blocks. Predominantly Frame Vernacular and Classical Revival buildings. Notable structures include David G. Raney House and Trinity Episcopal Church. A high concentration of Vernacular buildings are found within the district which is a well-preserved 19th-century setting. Within district is the John Gorrie State Museum and the Gibson Inn. N.R. 1980.
Apalachicola DAVID G. RANEY HOUSE SW corner of Market St. and Ave. F. c. 1840. Greek Revival. 2 stories, frame, classical front portico with 4 fluted Doric columns. According to tradition, the house was built in Port St. Joseph in 1838 and moved to its present site. Mr. Raney was a prosperous merchant and owner of the Apalachicola Race Track. Private. N.R. 1972.
Apalachicola TRINITY EPISCOPAL CHURCH Ave. D and 6th St. 1839. Greek Revival. 1 and a half stories, clapboarding, full-height fluted Ionic columns on front facade. The building was prefabricated in New York from white pine and shipped by sea to Apalachicola. Peg fasteners used instead of nails. Private. N.R. 1972.
Little St. George Island CAPE ST. GEORGE LIGHTHOUSE Southernmost point on Little St. George Island. 1852. Conical. Brick, 70 feet high. This is the third lighthouse built on the site, the first having been built in 1833, destroyed by hurricane. The second built in 1847 was also damaged by wind. Public. N.R. 1974.
Vicinity of St. Teresa YENT MOUND On E side of Fl. 370, approximately 2.5 mi. from jct. of U.S. 98. c. 500 b.c.-a.d. 500. Between Deptford and early Swift Creek periods. Platform mound originally 7 and a half feet high, 106 feet long, and a maximum of 74 feet wide. Greatly altered through uncontrolled digging. One of the best-known examples of a Hopewellian ceremonial complex found in North Florida. Private. N.R. 1973.
Vicinity of Sumatra FORT GADSDEN HISTORIC MEMORIAL (Negro Fort). 6 mi. SW of Sumatra off Fl. 65. 1814-1818. Fort turned over to Indian and black allies of British traders during Second Spanish Period. After an attack by the U.S. in 1815, in which 270 black defenders were killed when a powder magazine exploded, the U.S. garrisoned it until 1821. Museum. Public. N.R. 1972.