Florida's History Through Its Places
Quincy JOHN LEE McFARLIN HOUSE 305 E. King St. c. 1895. Queen Anne. 2 and a half stories, frame, gabled roof sections, full-width front porch, front polygonal turret. Home of John Lee McFarlin, second largest independent shade tobacco producer in the county and a pioneer in shade-grown tobacco cultivation. Private. N.R. 1974.
Quincy JUDGE P.W. WHITE HOUSE 212 N. Madison St. c. 1843. Greek Revival. 2 stories, frame, 2-story front and rear pedimented Doric porticos with fluted columns. The home of Judge P.W. White, important local civic leader who served in the Civil War as Chief Confederate Commissary Officer for Florida. Private. N.R. 1972.
Quincy QUINCY HISTORIC DISTRICT 1840s-1910. 28 structures of historical significance within a 16-block area. Predominant styles are Classical Revival and Queen Anne. Notable structures are the County Courthouse, Quincy Library, Stockton-Curry House. The architectural styles reflect the growth and decline of the tobacco boom periods (1840-1860 and 1890-1920). N.R. 1978.
Vicinity of Quincy OLD PHILADELPHIA PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Off Fl. 65, 5 mi. N of Quincy. 1859. Classical Revival elements. 1 and a half stories, frame, clapboarding, interior slave gallery. Built for one of the earliest Presbyterian congregations in the state. County's oldest surviving church. Private. N.R. 1975.
Havana DR. MALCOLM NICHOLSON FARMHOUSE State Road 12. Frame Vernacular. One and a half stories. Built c. 1825, the house originally served as the main plantation residence for Malcolm Nicholson’s four thousand acre cotton plantation. Dr. Nicholson was a medical doctor and cotton planter who was one of Gadsden County’s first territorial settlers and a participant in early county and territorial affairs. The house has a dogtrot floor plan; however the open dogtrot was enclosed c. 1950 for use as a parlor. Private. NR 1994.
Havana THE PLANTER’S EXCHANGE, INC 204 Second Street N.W. 1928. Vernacular. The Exchange is a large, one-story store front and industrial building that was begun in 1928 and added onto into the 1940s. The store front onto Second Street is brick, and the warehouse is metal and wood on brick pier foundations. Beginning in 1928, the company became the premier manufacturer of fertilizer, and supplier of pesticides, agricultural and general farm supplies needed by the shade tobacco growers in all of Gadsden and Madison Counties, Florida, as well as south Grady and Decatur Counties, Georgia. Private. NR 1999.
Quincy WILLOUGHBY GREGORY HOUSE Highway 274 and Krausland Road. 1843. Two stories. Brick construction. Willoughby Shackelford Gregory was one of Gadsden County’s early settlers and established a large plantation on which he used to cultivate primarily tobacco and cotton. The construction of the building with brick is unusual for Gadsden County as most structures built during the same period are typically of wood frame construction. The continuous foundation necessitated by the use of brick is also unusual for Florida. The only building of brick with similar wall thickness in Gadsden County by the early 1840s which has been identified was the Arsenal in Chattahoochee. Private. NR 1983.