Florida's History Through Its Places
Brandon MOSELEY HOMESTEAD 1820 W. Brandon Blvd. 1886. Frame Vernacular. 1 story, rambling modified dogtrot, exterior sided with wood shingles, metal roof. The Moseley Homestead occupies 15 acres and consists of a house and four outbuildings. Charles Scott Moseley and his wife were pioneers of Brandon. One of the oldest surviving rural residences in the county. Private. N.R. 1985.
Plant City DOWNTOWN PLANT CITY 1901-1925. 56 buildings, 38 of historical interest. Masonry Vernacular, Beaux-Arts and Mediterranean Revival styles. City's early commercial district. Although the commercial life of the city has moved elsewhere, the district retains some of the character it had when it was the focus of the town's business activities. Public and Private. N.R. 1993.
Plant City HILLSBORO STATE BANK BUILDING 121 N. Collins St. 1914. Classical Revival and Beaux-Arts Classical elements. Francis Kennard, architect. 3 stories, brick, 2-story front portico with twin concrete columns with ornate capitals. Plant City's first and oldest successful bank. Organized in 1902. The architect, Francis Kennard, from England, designed several notable buildings in the Tampa Bay area. Private. N.R. 1984.
Plant City NORTH PLANT CITY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1898-1942. 90 buildings, 74 or historical interest. Masonry and Frame Vernacular and several examples of Revival style. The neighborhood contains the largest concentration of residential structures in the city dating from before World War II. Contains a church and former schoolhouse. Public and Private. N.R. 1993.
Plant City PLANT CITY UNION DEPOT East N. Drane St. 1908-1909. Eclectic. J.F. Leitner, architect. 1-story, brick passenger depot, separate 2-story brick freight terminal. Important element in the early development of the city, since it depended so heavily on railroad transportation. Private. N.R. 1974.
Ruskin GEORGE MILLER HOUSE 508 Tamiami Trail. 1914. Swiss Chalet influence with elements of Stick and Prairie styles. 2 stories, frame with stucco, large eave braces. Only remaining structure of Ruskin College, founded by George McA. Miller, who was influenced by the theories of John Ruskin, 19th-century British social thinker. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tampa DAVIS ISLAND MULTIPLE PROPERTY LISTING. 1925-1932. 22 buildings of historical interest. Mediterranean Revival and Mission styles. The Davis Island section of Hyde Park was developed as a fashionable residential area in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Most residences were large and of Mediterranean style. Area remains well cared for. Many homes retain their original integrity. Private. N.R. 1989.
Tampa ANDERSON 341 Plant Ave. 1898+. Colonial Revival. Miller and Kennard, architects. 2 and a half stories, brick and granite, veranda with Ionic columns and a turned balustrade wrap the main and side facades. James B. Anderson was an important member of the city's banking community. Private. N.R. 1982.
Tampa CENTRO ASTURIANO 1913 Nebraska Ave. 1914. Beaux-Arts Classicism, Mannerist elements. Bonfoey and Elliott, architects. 2 stories, yellow brick, balustraded parapet, window bays articulated by engaged columns. Club formed in 1902 when the more radical Asturian Spaniards withdrew from the Centro Espanol. Best preserved of the city's clubs, it includes a 1200-seat theater, ballroom, and cantina. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tampa CIRCULO CUBANO DE TAMPA (Cuban Club) 10th Ave. and 14th St. 1918. Beaux-Arts Classicism. M. Leo Elliott, architect. 4 stories, yellow brick with stone trim, balustrade. Main entrance has double glass doors with transom, stained-glass Diocletian window above. The second structure of this ethnic men's club and mutual aid society organized in 1902. Facilities include a theater, cantina, and 4th-floor ballroom with lavishly decorated ceiling. Private. N.R. 1972.
Tampa EPISCOPAL HOUSE OF PRAYER 2708 Central Ave. 1923. Gothic Revival. 1 story. Rubble stone exterior. Church has all the features associated with the Gothic Revival, including steeply pitched roof, a tower and crenelation and stained glass windows. When built the church was situated in a fashionable neighborhood. Private. N.R. 1991.
Tampa HYDE PARK HISTORIC DISTRICT 1886-1933. 1695 structures within 860 acres. Predominant styles are Frame and Masonry Vernacular, Bungalow, Queen Anne, English Romantic Revival, Classical Revival. The oldest and best preserved of Tampa's early residential neighborhoods. Includes the Bayshore Blvd. Esplanade. N.R. 1985.
Tampa LE CLAIRE APARTMENTS 3013-3015 San Carlos. 1926. Masonry Vernacular. Fred J. James, architect. 2 stories. 2 "mirror-image" structures linked by a passage on the second floor. Stucco-covered arcade. Each second floor has a full-width porch. An early fashionable apartment complex. Private. N.R. 1988.
Tampa LEIMAN HOUSE 716 S. Newport St. 1916. Prairie style. M. Leo Elliott, architect. 2 stories, frame, stuccoed, hipped roof with eaves, front walls enclose raised patio. Good example of fully developed Prairie style house. Home of Henry Leiman (1857-1931), manufacturer of cigar boxes. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tampa S.H. KRESS AND COMPANY BUILDING 811 N. Franklin St. 1929. Renaissance Revival. G.E. McKay, architect. 4 stories, masonry, suspended bronze marquee, extensive use of terra-cotta ornamentation on 2 facades. One of the last major commercial structures built in Tampa before the Great Depression. Private. N.R. 1983.
Tampa TAMPA BAY HOTEL 401 W. Kennedy Blvd. 1888-1891. Moorish Revival. J.A. Wood, architect. 4 stories, brick, 12 towers with bulbous domes and cupolas, covered cornices, ornate porches, elegant interior once included rotunda lobby. Built by railroad magnate Henry Bradley Plant. An excellent example of an early luxury hotel. Used as headquarters for the U.S. Army in the Spanish-American War. Now the home of the University of Tampa and Henry B. Plant Museum. Public. N.R. 1972.
Tampa WEST TAMPA HISTORIC DISTRICT 1895-1925. 1287 structures within 77 blocks. Frame Vernacular row houses (many shotgun style) and bungalows are predominant styles. Notable buildings include 11 brick cigar factories and the Centro Espa–ol. Established as a working-class town. Many of the employees who worked in the numerous cigar factories lived there. Today it architecturally appears much as it did in 1925. Many of the original brick streets and granite curbs survive. N.R. 1983.
Tampa YBOR CITY HISTORIC DISTRICT 1886-early 20th century. 26 blocks. Brick and Frame Vernacular residential and commercial buildings predominate, with some Victorian and Mediterranean Revival. Wrought-iron balconies survive on 7 commercial buildings. Notable structures are Ybor Factory, El Pasaje, and 3 mutual aid society clubhouses. Remains of once thriving city within a city developed by Cuban cigar manufacturer Vincent Martinez Ybor, who relocated his Key West factory there and provided housing for immigrant workers. Now primarily a commercial area. N.R. 1974.
Tampa YBOR FACTORY BUILDING 7th Ave. between 13th and 14th Sts. 1886. Eclectic. C.E. Parcell, architect. 3 stories, brick, flat roof, central cupola, gabled portico replaces original. Cigar factory built by Vincent Martinez Ybor. Served as meeting place for Cuban patriots during 1890s. Portico was where JosŽ Mart’, leader of Cuban Revolution, gave famous speech. Original portico removed to Havana. Private. N.R. 1972.
Lutz OLD LUTZ ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 18819 U.S. Highway 41 North. 1926/27. Colonial Revival. Two stories. The Old Lutz School was the community’s second school building. It served as the community school until 1973 and is the oldest publicly built building remaining in the community. Designed by architect Frank A. Winn, Jr., the school was part of the institutional evolution of Lutz as it acquired the railroad, a post office, a church, paved roads, electricity and other features of social development. Public-local. NR 1996.
Plant City BING ROOMING HOUSE 205 South Allen Street. c. 1928. Frame Vernacular. Constructed as a boarding house, the rooming house was owned and operated by Mrs. Janie Wheeler Bing in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Plant City during the segregation era when African-Americans were prevented from staying at local white hotels or eating at white establishments. Another African-American rooming house existed in the community, but the Bing Rooming House is the only one remaining, and was in continuous use for a longer period of years, and had the best reputation for cleanliness and good food. Private. NR 2002.
Plant City DOWNTOWN PLANT CITY HISTORIC RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT Bounded by North Drake, Thomas, West Tever, Franklin, and Carey Streets. The district encompasses the largest historic residential area of the city and developed between 1887 and 1948. The houses in the district represent a variety of residential architectural styles, including bungalows, wood frame and masonry vernacular buildings, Folk Victorian, and Colonial Revival. The district also contains one contributing church, a former school, and an agricultural field associated with vocational education. Private. NR 1998.
Plant City GLOVER SCHOOL 5110 Horton Road, Bealsville. The school is located in Bealsville, a community founded by freed slaves in 1868. Bealsville citizens, in an effort to provide education for their children, raised money and secured land for their own school when the school board would not provide one. Built in 1933, the campus is a ten acre site that consists of five structures arranged in an L-shape. Frame Vernacular. Public-local. NR 2001.
Plant City HISTORIC TURKEY CREEK HIGH SCHOOL 5005 Turkey Creek Road. 1927. Masonry Vernacular. Two stories. The facility was established as one of the “Strawberry Schools” in rural Hillsborough County, which held school vacation during the winter months to coincide with the strawberry harvest so children could help with the gathering of the berries for the commercial market. The school is representative of the effort of the school boards of Florida during the early twentieth century to provide “efficient” school buildings with large, well ventilated classrooms that could be divided into grades and that featured electric lighting. Public-local. NR 2001.
Plant City STANDARD OIL SERVICE STATION 1111 North Wheeler Street. 1921. Masonry Vernacular. Daniel’s Standard Oil Service Station is the last of its kind still standing in Plant City and, at the time of its nomination, was still used a service station. The building is an excellent example of the standardized building styles used by oil companies to promote their product and appeal to the public’s desire for clean, well-maintained service locations. Private. NR 1996.
Ruskin A.P. DICKMAN HOUSE 120 Dickman Drive S.W. 1911. Queen Anne/Colonial Revival. The A.P. Dickman House, also known as Ruskin House Bed and Breakfast, is situated on a one-acre parcel of land originally platted in 1910 as a part of a larger tract for A.P. Dickman, one of the founders of Ruskin. Built at a time during which Colonial Revival style houses supplanted Queen Anne style residences, the house exhibits features associated with both styles. Private. NR 2000.
Tampa BAY ISLE COMMERCIAL BUILDING 238 East Davis Boulevard. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Two stories. The Bay Island Commercial Building is significant for its adaptation of the Mediterranean Revival style to a small commercial building within the context of the Davis Islands development. The L-shaped building was designed by Miami architect Martin L. Hampton with Tampa architect Franklin O. Adams, Jr. working as the supervising architect. Private. NR 1989.
Tampa EL CENTRO ESPANOL OF WEST TAMPA 2306 N. Howard Ave. 1912. Mediterranean Revival with Moorish details. Fred J. James, architect. 2 stories, red and yellow brick, decorative corbeling on cornice and in frontispiece around Howard Ave. entrance. Built after the growth of the cigar industry in West Tampa brought thousands of new members to Ybor City's Centro Espa–ol. Large ballroom has Moorish influence. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tampa EL PASAJE (Cherokee Club) 1318 9th St. 1886. Eclectic with Italian Renaissance elements. 2 stories, brick, 1st-floor open arcade on the north and east sides, general style is modeled after Italian Renaissance villa. The Cherokee Club, as it was originally known, was established in 1895 for the promotion of "social intercourse among its members," which at the time included many of Tampa's most prominent businessmen and cigar manufacturers. Private. N.R. 1972.
Tampa FEDERAL BUILDING, U.S. COURTHOUSE, POSTAL STATION 601 Florida Ave. 1902-1905. Second Renaissance and Classical Revival elements. James Knox Taylor, architect. 4 stories, granite faced with marble at 2nd floor, central entrance section with full height Corinthian portico. The oldest significant building in Tampa originally designed for government use. Public. N.R. 1974.
Tampa FLORIDAN HOTEL 905 North Florida Avenue. 1927. Italian Renaissance. 18 stories. The hotel was conceived by A.J. Simms, a leading developer and native of New Brunswick, Canada. It was constructed in direct response to the need for hotel space created by the increase in the number of visitors coming to Tampa. When the hotel was completed in 1927, it was the tallest structure in Tampa and is now the only historic skyscraper remaining of approximately six constructed downtown between 1910 and 1930. Private. NR 1996.
Tampa HAMPTON TERRACE HISTORIC DISTRICT Roughly bounded by Hanna Avenue, 15th Street, Hillsborough Avenue, and Nebraska Avenue. The Hampton Terrace Historic District is an approximately 115 acre residential neighborhood located about three miles north of downtown Tampa, Florida. The neighborhood is dominated by single family dwellings dating from the 1920s to the present. Bungalows are prominently represented in the district, and there are some examples of Mediterranean Revival style architecture, as well as Moderne, Tudor Revival, and Colonial Revival. Private. NR 1999.
Tampa OLD PEOPLE’S HOME 1203 East 22nd Avenue. 1924. Colonial Revival. Two stories. The Old People’s Home, now known as The Home Association, was the first privately supported home constructed specifically for the care of the elderly in Tampa and represented a major civic achievement for the community. Many of Tampa’s most prominent citizens were associated with and were trustees of the Old People’s Home. The building is also noted for its size and for its colossal two-story Colonial Revival portico and veranda on the main façade. Public-local. NR 2000.
Tampa OLD TAMPA CHILDREN’S HOME 3302 North Tampa Avenue. 1922-1923. Mission Revival. Two-stories. The masonry building is constructed of a combination of reinforced concrete, brick, and hollow tile, with the exterior walls covered with smooth stucco. From 1923 to 1968 the building served as a home for Tampa’s orphaned and neglected children. It was the only home for white orphans in a ten county area until the 1950s when the State of Florida established foster home care for orphans and at risk children throughout the state. Private. NR 1999.
Tampa OLD TAMPA FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY 102 E. 7th Ave. 1915. Classical Revival. 1 story. T-plan, masonry building faced with yellow and brown brick resting upon a rusticated granite basement. Barrel-tile roof. Constructed with funds provided by the Carnegie Foundation. Presently vacant. Public. N.R. 1991.
Tampa OLD UNION DEPOT HOTEL 1912. Masonry Vernacular. Two stories. The building is six-sided, a ground plan that conforms to the irregularly shaped lots on which it was constructed. The hotel was constructed to serve as a satellite lodging and commercial venue for the nearby Union Station, which was erected to facilitate Tampa’s increasing rail traffic during the early twentieth century. The hotel building is all that remains of a continuous series of twelve two-story brick storefronts that were constructed Private. NR 2000. preclude
Tampa PALACE OF FLORENCE APARTMENTS 45 East Davis Boulevard. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. The Palace of Florence Apartments combines medieval and classical elements to produce a romantic vision of a grand scale Italian palazzo or public building. The building was designed by artist Athos Menaboni, who was hired by a group of Italian businessmen in Tampa. The design of the apartment complex is loosely based on that of the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy and features a distinctive four-story battlement tower with exterior staircase. Private. NR 1989.
Tampa PALMERIN HOTEL 115 East Davis Boulevard. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. The Palmerin Hotel has two and three-story wings and an open four story tower at its northeast corner clustered around a central tiled courtyard. The Palmerin Hotel was designed by Miami architect Martin L. Hampton had been hired by developer D.P. Davis to oversee all construction on the islands. The design of the hotel derives its inspiration from the Doge’s Palace in Venice and from the many cloistered monasteries of northern Italy. Private. NR 1989.
Tampa SEMINOLE HEIGHTS RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT Roughly bounded by Osborne, Florida, Hanna, and Cherokee Avenues. 325 contributing structures, 113 non-contributing structures. The district contains mainly single family dwellings dating from c. 1912 to 1939. In addition, the area contains a school, several churches, and other buildings associated with non-commercial functions. The district developed as a distinct residential area beginning c. 1912 along the streetcar route between downtown Tampa and the community of Sulphur Springs. The houses in the district are mainly bungalows Private, Public-local. NR 1993.
Tampa SPANISH APARTMENTS 16 East Davis Boulevard. Mediterranean Revival. The building was designed by Martin L. Hampton for developer D.P. Davis in 1925 and features a diamond shaped plan that opens to the north but encloses a simple courtyard with a centrally placed tiled fountain. Although primarily a three-story building, the structure includes a one-story wing and two five-story arcaded towers. The Villa de Leon includes twenty-two apartments, ranging from studio size to one and two bedroom flats, some of which have tower bedrooms. Private. NR 1989.
Tampa SS AMERICAN VICTORY 705 Channelside Drive, Berth 271. 1945. The SS AMERICAN VICTORY is one of 414 Victory ships built during World War II and, at the time of its nomination to the National Register, was one of only a handful of remaining Victory ships. Victory class ships, which replaced the earlier Liberty cargo ships, entered World War II at an important juncture, in mid-1944, ferrying supplies and troops to the European and Pacific theaters, including critical battle action in the Pacific Theater at Okinawa and Iwo Jima. Private. NR 2002.
Tampa STOVALL HOUSE 4621 Bayshore Blvd. 1909. Classical Revival. 2 stories, brick, central entrance has 2-story center Ionic entrance portico and a 1-story Ionic balustraded veranda. In 1915 became the home of Col. Wallace Stovall, founder of the Tampa Tribune. House has recently undergone radical alterations. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tampa TAMPA CITY HALL 315 John F. Kennedy Blvd. E. 1915. Eclectic. Bonfoey and Elliott, architects. 3-story main block with 8-story central office tower. 2nd and 3rd floors have Doric columns, balustrade around main block, terra-cotta detail and clock tower. Recognized as the finest of the architect M. Leo Elliott's commercial-municipal structures. Public. N.R. 1974.
Tampa TAMPA HEIGHTS HISTORIC DISTRICT Roughly bounded by Adalee Street, I-275, 7th Avenue, and North Tampa Avenue. The district contains 427 buildings, the majority of which are single family dwellings. The area is marked by a variety of other structures as well: apartment buildings, churches, and commercial buildings. The historic buildings date from c. 1890 to 1945 and represent a wide variety of architectural styles, primarily bungalows or wood frame vernacular residences erected between 1910 and 1925; however, the district also features examples of such formal styles as Colonial Revival, Queen Anne, Tudor Revival, and Mediterranean Revival. Private, Public-local. NR 1995.
Vicinity of Tampa EGMONT KEY At entrance to Tampa Bay. 1840-1945. The site of a variety of military activities throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Lighthouse established in 1848 and served the Union during Civil War. In the Spanish-American War a coastal artillery battery was installed (Fort Dade). Patrol station in World War II. Public. N.R. 1978.
Vicinity of Zephyrhills FORT FOSTER (Camp Foster, Fort Alabama) 9 mi. S of Zephyrhills on U.S. 301. 1836. Site of military post built during the Second Seminole War to replace Fort Alabama as a supply depot. The fort was occupied and maintained as a depot until August 1837. In November 1837 again garrisoned and finally abandoned in 1849. Private. N.R. 1972.