Click the thumbnail for a high-resolution image of this flag.
Confederate field commanders in Virginia began using the square "Southern Cross" as a battle flag in the latter part of 1861. Within two years, Southern military units serving in parts of Florida also received flags of this design. In 1863 a rectangular version, without a white border, became the official Confederate naval jack. This later banner also was used as a battle flag in the western theater of the war.