Untitled Document

Secretary Detzner Announces National Register Designation of Micajah T. Singleton House in DeSoto County

seal of florida

Florida Department of State
Ken Detzner
Secretary of State

For Immediate Release
August 30, 2013

Contact:
Brittany Lesser
245.6522

Secretary Detzner Announces National Register Designation of Micajah T. Singleton House in DeSoto County

Recognizes historic significance of 19th century structure

TALLAHASSEE, FL — Secretary of State Ken Detzner announced today that, following its review and recommendation by Florida's National Register Review Board, the Micajah T. Singleton House in Arcadia, DeSoto County, has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

"With this recognition on August 6, 2013, the Singleton House becomes the fourth property in DeSoto County to be listed as a historically significant site on the National Register of Historic Places," said Secretary Detzner. "The Singleton House represents an important part of the story of Central Florida’s rich nineteenth-century economic history."

Located at 711 West Hickory Street, the home was constructed in 1891, and is one of the few remaining examples in Arcadia of a large, frame vernacular, pioneer home, constructed of heart yellow pine before the beginning of the 20th century. Micajah T. Singleton (1850-1923) was a member of a prominent north Georgia family. He came to Arcadia in 1888 to organize and operate the Peace River Phosphate Company. Because of the collapse of the phosphate boom, the Singleton family left Arcadia in 1893. In July 1939, Lillian Whitlock purchased the Singleton House. She and her husband resided at the house until 1955, when the property was passed to their daughter Irma. It is currently owned by George Whitlock, Irma’s son, and his wife Patricia.

The National Register of Historic Places, a list maintained by the National Park Service, includes historical or archaeological properties (buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts) that are considered worthy of preservation because of their local, statewide and/or national significance.  Nominations for properties in Florida are submitted to the National Park Service through the Florida Department of State Division of Historical Resources. Florida has over 1,600 listings on the National Register, including 275 historical districts and 170 archaeological sites.

To learn more about the National Register nomination process, contact program supervisor Barbara Mattick at 850.245.6364, email Barbara.Mattick@Dos.MyFlorida.com or visit flheritage.com/preservation/nr/index.cfm.

# # #

About the Division of Historical Resources
The Division of Historical Resources (DHR) is responsible for preserving and promoting Florida’s historical, archaeological, and folk culture resources. DHR directs historic preservation efforts throughout the state in cooperation with state and federal agencies, local governments, private organizations, and individuals. The director of DHR serves as the State Historic Preservation Officer, acting as the liaison with the national historic preservation program conducted by the National Park Service. Chapter 267, Florida Statutes, directs DHR to develop a statewide historic preservation plan. The Division is comprised of two Bureaus or major program areas: archaeological research and historic preservation. For more information visit flheritage.com.


Go Back