Florida Historical Marker Program
Content Needed for a Historical Markers Application
You will need the following information to complete the application.
- The historic name of the resource
- The resource type
- A statement of the resource's significance
- A description of the resource
- A bibliography of sources documenting the site's historical relevancy
- The geographic coordinates of the marker in decimal fractions (see determining marker coordinates)
- Proposed marker title and text (including sponsors) (see marker text tips & examples)
- Days and times marker will be accessible to the public
- Name and contact information of the resource owner
- Name and contact information of the marker caretaker (the person responsible for erecting and maintaining the marker)
- Approval of the owner of the property where the marker will be placed.
Attachments Needed for a Historical Markers Application
Applicants must submit, by mail, the following:
- A signature page signed by the owner of the property where the marker will be placed. (Created when the online application is completed.)
- A completed Florida Master Site File form (with number if available)
Visit Master Site File documents and Forms to get a site file form and instructions for completing it.
A CD containing the following:
Up to three maps (in .pdf format) that illustrate:
- the general area where the resource is located
- the specific boundaries of the resource
- the proposed location of the marker
Copies of hard to find sources referenced in the bibliography (in .pdf format). You only need to scan and include sources that would be difficult to find.
A photograph of the proposed marker location (in .png, .tif, or .jpg format)
Do not send drawings or other artistic representations. Indicate the exact location where you desire the marker to be placed with a marker stand-in. Examples include:
- A person
- A mock-up of the marker
- A digitally added marker or other indicator
A photograph showing the resource to be marked as it currently exists (in .png, .tif, or .jpg format)
Do not send drawings or other artistic representations.
- OPTIONAL: A historical photograph of the resource (in .png, .tif, or .jpg format)
FOR MORE INFORMATION
State Historical Marker Coordinator
Division of Historical Resources
Bureau of Historic Preservation
R.A. Gray Building
500 S. Bronough Street, Room 422
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0250