Florida Maritime Heritage Trail - Lighthouses @ Florida OCHP


Home
The Florida Maritime Heritage Trail 
Coastal CommunitiesCoastal EnvironmentsCoastal FortsLighthousesHistoric PortsHistoric Shipwrecks

« Previous   

   Next »


St. Johns River

St. Johns River

Photo courtesy of the
Internet Public Library.

    The St. Johns River Lighthouse was built in 1830 with a third-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse was replaced in 1835, and relocated to its present site in 1859. It was raised fifteen feet to its current 81-foot height in 1887. Replaced by a lightship in 1929, the red brick tower was given by the Coast Guard to the Navy, which completed needed restoration work. In 1982 the lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The tower today occupies a remote corner of Mayport Naval Station and may one day become a museum; the grounds currently are open.



Find out more:

Additional Links:




Communities | Environments | Forts | Lighthouses | Ports | Shipwrecks | Home